Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Is sharing better?

So as a family holiday gift, we re-subscribed to Netflix's streaming service. We'd canceled our service a few years ago because we just weren't using it. There was lots of stuff on TV and if we wanted a movie, chances were it was on demand somewhere.

It is awesome. I can prop my iPad up while I'm straightening my hair and watch something entertaining. It's the perfect complement to being able to read while I blow-dry. I can watch something diverting while I'm doing the dishes or sorting the laundry or cleaning the bathroom. Because my gym has free wi-fi, I can even plug into my iPad while I'm on the elliptical!

The first thing I did was gobble through the first seasons of Downton Abbey. I've since moved on to Doc Martin and a few other things. I have been waiting patiently for a certain someone with more techno ability than me to hook up the little Roku box thing on the big TV in the living room so we can actually use it there.

Here's the problem. I have discovered and started watching several series that I think that same certain someone who also enjoy. The BBC Sherlock series. The Netflix House of Cards series. SyFy's Lost Girl series. I've watched the first episode or so of each and am DYING to watch more. We only have so much time for TV in the evening. It could be months before we get to all of them.

Here's the thing, though. My techno-savvy sweetheart has, over the years, become more and more willing to discuss shows and dissect them with me. I'm pretty sure that they'll all be more interesting if I wait and share them.

So which do you think is better? Gobbling them up on one's own (and potentially losing weight because it keeps me on the elliptical longer)? Or sharing them with someone who will obsess over them with one?

5 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

Tough call Eileen. I'm a gobbler. 2 Seasons of Homeland in 2 weeks.

But on the plus side - I could do recap in the office with all the people who had originally seen it.

So the trick is to gobble, AFTER everyone else has already seen it and can talk about it with you.

Maureen McGowan said...

You could gobble and then watch them again with your sweetie?

Anonymous said...

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble... and then discuss them with us!

Sarah said...

The husband and I have this discussion all the time. I'm a Gobbler and he's a sharer. But the problem is that he's an early to bed type and I'm a night owl, so it will take years to catch up on shows if I wait for him. So, we pretty much usually have one thing we're watching together (right now it's Justified) and then I watch whatever else I please. This is the result of quite a bit of negotiation, haha...

Eileen said...

Yeah. He's not going to go for me watching them on my own. I can negotiate a lot of things with him, but he hates feeling left out of anything. The re-watch, however, has potential. I could then catch things I'd missed the first time. Hmmm.

I'm usually not good at re-watching (or re-reading for that matter). It's another option, though. Gotta love options.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...