Tuesday, March 26, 2013

British Invasion

It started with Downton Abbey. It was like the starter drug. It was so easy. What harm could it do to watch one little British period drama. I burned through Seasons 1 and 2 in a matter of weeks. Then I got to experience Season 3 in real time including sobbing uncontrollably over Sybil with Catriona McPherson, morning after emails with my boyfriend's mother and horror at Amy Clarke's ability to laugh at melodrama.

It didn't last, though. Season 3 ended. I needed more. My friend Deb told me to check out Doc Martin. I checked out all 5 seasons that were on Netflix. A doctor with a blood phobia and Aspergers! Quirky villagers! Doting aunt! Loved it. But it couldn't last forever, either.

Then there was Call the Midwife. Six short episodes and I was left in tears by every single one of them.

I'm deeply into Kingdom now. In addition, we're now watching both Sherlock (British) and Elementary (American), the two Sherlock Holmes in modern times shows. I'm also dabbling in both House of Cards and House of Cards. Confusing? Yes, it is. They're VERY similar and yet quite different. Upper crust vs. up by the boot straps. Conservative vs. liberal although ideology does not matter much to either of those politicians.

I'm not quite sure what it is about the British shows that are drawing me in right now, but they are. Anybody else having a British thing right now?

9 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

Wait! You mean there are MORE British shoes... I'll have to check them out.

Obviously I'm a Downton fan. And I also love Sherlock... not so much the American version though.

Eileen said...

So far I sort of like both Sherlock and Elementary. I wasn't so crazy about them making Lucy Liu into his apprentice. I liked that she had her own agenda, but still got sucked into his cases.

I believe we have only scratched the surface of fun British television shows!

Maureen McGowan said...

I'm enjoying Elementary WAY more than I expected to. I found the pilot episode annoying. I think because the crime part seemed so basic compared to the British Sherlock... But they are doing an awesome job of the characters on Elementary. Really rooting for Joan and Sherlock. In love or even just in life.

Did anyone watch Parade's End? An HBO miniseries set at the same time as Downton Abbey. (WWI ish)

Definitely more difficult/challenging than Downton, but thoroughly interesting. Characters you don't normally see...

Maureen McGowan said...

PS. I've heard about Doc Martin.. Damn. Now maybe I'll gave to track it down and check it out.

Anonymous said...

I normally love British shows. Check out Luther for an awesome current UK police show, but watched Parade's End and wanted to punch everyone involved in that show.
There were a couple of episodes that didn't make sense, it was all over the map, tone wise and by the end I was really sorry I'd stuck it through to the end.

Maureen McGowan said...

LOL about Parade's End, Sinead. I wanted to punch the Bennedict Cumberbatch character for sure. Trying so hard to be "good" that he was pathetic. Utterly pathetic and difficult to care about. And just about everyone else was an asshole. But loved the suffragette and her mom... and by the end, I actually loved the Rebecca Hall character. Especially the names she called the suffragette eg) she of the regular bowel movement.

I think in the end, it was Sylvia's story for me... And a bit of a tragedy in that regard. Someone who digs a huge hole for herself, realizes that what she wants is at the top of the hole, not at the bottom like she thought... and then can't manage to climb out. (Although why she wanted her husband is beyond me...)

Eileen said...

Ooh. I saw Luther on the "things you might like" queue. I'll check that one out next once I'm done with Kingdom. Is there anyone more adorable than Stephen Fry?

Molly O'Keefe said...

I watched Downton a few weeks ago - just the first season, I need to find the next two - Yes, I'm in. I'm so in. Lady Mary. The terrible Lady's Maid - the drama, the costumes. It's so good.

I've been watchign The West Wing from the beginning and hours of my life have been sucked away remembering how effing SMART this show is and then feeling very stupid.

Molly O'Keefe said...

oh and Luther!!! YES!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...