Friday, March 01, 2013

Dead Letter Week and injecting new life into Urban Fantasy

Such a fun week, celebrating Eileen's new release. Unlike Molly, I love urban fantasy, the combination of mystery, romance and kick ass into one book is tremendously appealing to me, but I went on an urban fantasy glut and they all started blending together.

And that's what I love the most about Eileen's series, is that she's taken the urban fantasy genre and given it such a cool spin. For starters, it's got a wicked sense of humour, Melina's voice is snarky, but also witty and I've laughed out loud many times reading the series.

I also love that Melina isn't mired in darkness. She's bright and has friends, and genuinely enjoys her life and the balance between dealing with the paranormal and maintaining her normal life is an important part of the book and dealt with in a way I'd never read before.

Because of that, when bad things happen, it has more impact, and the emotions come across in a way that is more impactful than most other Urban Fantasy.

I have a plane ride coming up, which means five glorious uninterrupted hours. I have Dead Letter ready on my kindle, and I'm so excited. Hope everyone else enjoys it as well

2 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

See now I'm hit or miss with Urban Fantasy. I think the problem with it is usually the romance isn't satisfying enough for me.

Another thing that sets Eileen apart. I'm not constantly wondering who Melina "might end up with" - instead I'm watching her grow in a relationship. Love it.

Eileen said...

Oh, thank you! I really like the idea of Ted and Melina growing together. I hope you'll like how I pushed the relationship this time. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...