Thursday, March 14, 2013

Carrie and Brody... those two crazy kids.


Okay, so I know I’m like a year late with Homeland. But I just got Showtime for free and as Eileen was talking about on Tuesday I am definitely a gobbler. While I adore my cats they don’t really offer the kind of insight into shows that I would like so I can’t really count on them for analysis. Which means I gobble freely and love it.
I watched the first two seasons in about two weeks and if I could have melted the shows down like heroine and injected them into my veins I would have done it.

Why? Because despite being a great action/spy/thriller type show… it is at its heart a romance.
Brody and Carrie, and their relationship, drives that show. And how twisted is that! SPOILER ALERT – if you haven’t seen the show and want to don’t read past this point.

He’s a spy, he’s married and he’s killed people. She’s bipolar and her mission is to stop him. I mean seriously I should not want them to end up together. But the whole time I watched season one, I wanted it to work out between them. Then when I didn’t think it was possible in season two, somehow the writers decided to go there anyway.
It brought me back to messy heroines and heroes and why I love them. I mean NOBODY is more messed up than these two. I can’t think of a couple that has as many obstacles to a happy ending. It’s why I love it. Because through it all the power of their love keeps bringing them back together.

Or they are secretly manipulating each other for their own ends. Hard to know. But I LOVE that too!
I really think it is love. I think it’s the one thing they are both holding onto to keep them sane.

It’s an amazing dynamic. One I really hope to steal (because I’m a dynamic thief) sometime in the future. But this show brings home to me the more messed up the characters are, the more impossible the  situation is, the higher the stakes, the better story you end up with.
Here is to Carrie and Brody hoping those crazy lovebirds can somehow find a way to work it out!

6 comments:

Eileen said...

I know! Isn't it awesome? Here's the thing with those two. In a way, because of their own particular flavors of messed-uppedness, they understand each other better than anybody else can really understand them.

It's why (I think) they're so attracted to each other and why they're so good at manipulating each other, too!

Such a great intense interesting show. Glad you're having a good gobble. :-)

Stephanie Doyle said...

That's exactly it. And it's crazy to me to - that as much as these two lie and manipulate each other - they are also shockingly honest with one another.

I thought her interrogation of him in, in Season 2 was one of the best things I've seen on TV EVAH!

Anonymous said...

I love this show... love it for him and her and the two together. The acting is incredible and that scene where she interrogates him, and is so vulnerable in her position of power... awesome..

I never really liked her until this show and now, I'm telling strangers what an awesome actress she is and I've loved him since Band of Brothers

Maureen McGowan said...

They are starting to show Homeland from the start on a non-premium channel in Canada (as opposed to the obscure, expensive channel you have to buy to get it first run)

And so I watched the pilot again last week. And was sucked in again. My fav moments in season 1 I'm looking forward to seeing again, (there were so many), was the first time they kissed... And then that episode at the cabin. After all that happens between them. After they are clearly falling in love, he says, "They think I'm a terrorist?" and she comes back with "I think you're a terrorist." LOVE IT!!!!

Stephanie Doyle said...

Maureen he actually says... The "CIA" thinks I'm a terrorist.

And she's like No, I think you're a terrorist - or working with Al Queda.

So even that. The CIA thinks your great, it's just me, who is in love with you, who thinks you're lying.

I know in a few weeks I'm going to have to go back and watch it all again.

Unfortunately I've now been sucked into the addition that is Duck Dynasty.

Maureen McGowan said...

Yes, Steph! It's so great.

They don't think so, it's just me. Few writers have the guts to put their characters into so much conflict.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...