Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reviews

I don’t normally obsess about them. Sometimes people are going to like your book. Sometimes they are going to hate it. Most won’t care enough about it to give you an indication either way.

With the advent of Goodreads this has changed a little. Because when I login to the website to either update my books read or give a review, I have easy access to my dashboard. Easy access to all the comments for all my books in one common area. I mean really… who can NOT look.

This has been especially satisfying for my self-published book Got Game? Because I’m not selling a lot of copies, my agent estimates maybe a couple a week, I had to really figure out how I was going to get my satisfaction over having worked so hard on it, invested money in it etc.

Then it happened. People who I don’t know really liked it. People who I have never met said that even though they don’t like golf – they enjoyed the book.

And at the end of the day I realized that was totally enough. Yes, I get that professional authors can’t make a living off nice reviews, but for this particular effort it was enough for me that people I didn’t know (who weren’t going to be nice just for the sake of being nice) read it and enjoyed it.

So thank you Sarah, Kate, Julie and Kayla. Thanks for taking the time to write something about it and make me feel as if what I wrote mattered. Thanks everyone else who updated the stars.

And of course thank you to all my DWT peeps who said nice things in support on Amazon and this blog.

This time the reviews really did matter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, so glad you are getting great reviews on your Golf Book. I loved that heroine and am so excited to read your historical when you're ready.

Maureen McGowan said...

It is so cool when someone you've never met read and liked your book. Nothing can beat it, I think. :)

Molly O'Keefe said...

I totally agree - the nice words feed us. Of course the negative ones cripple us but that's a different post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...