Thursday, March 08, 2012

I am in a state of wait...

As writers we can all appreciate this right? Everything in this business can sometimes be hurry up and wait. Rush to meet a deadline and then wait for feedback. Finish the edits on time, then wait for the actual release of the book.

Send off queries to editors and agents and wait… and wait... and wait. Sometimes months! In the worst cases years. The worst worst cases… no reply or feedback is ever sent.

The waiting can be agonizing.

That’s where I am now. I’m waiting for feedback on my last manuscript. I’m waiting for the release of my Super that comes out in April. I’m wondering if anything will be different because it’s a new line or if everything will stay the same because I’m still a Harlequin writer.

I must have checked the Romantic Times website a hundred times just to see if I had gotten my “score” yet. (It was a 4 – not a 4 ½ so that’s enough to make me crazy, but at least it wasn’t a 2 which would have made me cry.)

And so I’m sitting here thinking about the next idea I need to be putting together – because that’s what all good writers should be doing. Not worrying about what was already turned in or sent out, but always working on … what’s next.

I hear it’s supposed to make the waiting time go faster. For whatever reason, this time for me, not so much.

So what do you all do to deal with the time in between stuff happening?

7 comments:

Ryshia Kennie said...

It's different every time. This time I'm revising another book in my state of wait.

Eileen said...

Drink. Paint a room. Reorganize a junk drawer.

Oh, and make my friends and family INSANE.

Anonymous said...

I like that - drink - lol! I know we're all told to write that next book but I can't focus on the next thing when I'm in the middle of something else. I've been trying so hard to finish my wip but I just released a book, a short story, and done the Kindle promo thingie, watching the downloads and my ranking skyrocket. How are you supposed to focus on the next thing in the middle of this? lol! I know I should, I know I should... so do what Eileen said...

Molly O'Keefe said...

ohhhh man the worst! I think give yourself like four days to just do nothing, spin your wheels, obssesively check email and then on the fifth day - get back to work.

Pretneding like you're NOT freaking out doesn't work. Tried it for years. When the freak out happens you have to give it some time. and feed it some booze

Maureen McGowan said...

I am not good at being productive while I'm waiting. I always have great plans to start the next project but most of the stuff I've started during the agonizing wait times I've never followed through on.

I resolve to take a few days off, really off, as soon as I meet this next deadline. Then while I wait, write a proposal for something new...

Anonymous said...

My solution to this time is always to drink..... always.

Stephanie Doyle said...

There is a lot of drinking involved with writing... no wonder Hemmingway was so messed up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...