Friday, March 30, 2012

I'm hooked

Stephanie was right. New Girl is great, and charming and really, really funny. I'm hooked, and I tried to fight it. My first impression was that the main character, The Zoe Deschanel character is really, really annoying.

And I'm not sure my first impression is wrong, but as a foil to every other character in the show, she's kind of perfect. She's the innocent thrown in with three cynicals, but what she brings out in them is the core of sweetness at the heart of these three guys. It's a really interesting trick, and the writers were so smart because the contrast in character is what drives a lot of the storylines, but also has created some great story arcs.

And when placed with her three roommates, Zoe is a lot less annoying. And yes, as Stephanie pointed out, there is the comic genius that is Shmidt.

I'm glad I listened to Stephanie and started to watch it, because right now, it's funnier to me than either Modern Family, or 30 Rock.

And this Sunday, Game of Thrones Season 2..... anyone else anxiously awaiting it's return?

5 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I cannot WAIT for Game of Thrones.

I've been enjoying New Girl, too. But for me, the annoying one offset by the others is Schmidt. Sure, he's funny, but to me he's more ridiculously over the top cartoon than she is.

But loved the episode when she tried to redecorate and get him to loosen up. Hilarious. And how ashamed her model friend is about having sex with him. Yes, his character cracks me up. But I find him the uber annoying one.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I also cannot wait for Game of Thrones! I just watched the 22 minute preview from HBO about where it's going and watched the final episode (even though I'm still sad to see savage warrior guy die).

And I agree Sinead - my love of New Girl is growing beyond all shows.

And for me what saves Schmidt are those glimpses of the real guy that we see every once and a while.

I don't know why but I totally buy him as real - even as overtop as he can be. And I love the douche bag jar - and the fact that he will call himself out for things he says.

This past episode when he says Sexatarty... priceless.

Maureen McGowan said...

I don't even buy the guy that he was when he first came to LA... Clearly he just irritates me. :) He is funny, but in the same way that, say, Kramer was funny.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet. Trying to get this damn book done I missed a lot of TV. Where are my priorities???

Anonymous said...

I recently saw the first two episodes and they have done a nice job of growing him without changing him, but I admit I find Scmidt hilarious.
The douchebag jar, his obsessive cleanliness.. it all makes me laugh..

Eileen said...

I sort of like the Zooey Deschanel character. She reminds me of my niece.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...