Friday, March 09, 2012

Attack the block

It's a british sci-fi movie that is ridiculously fun, scary and thrilling and has one of the best protagonists I've seen in a long time, a 15 year thug who says barely three lines in the movie.

to start and I'm going to try and not give any spoilers away, the movie starts with a group of 5 teenage boys mugging a young nurse as she's on her way home to one of the worst areas in South London. It then morphs into a movie where vicious ape like aliens are attacking the highrise that is home to all these people.

The two main characters in the story are the nurse and Moses the 15 year old leader of the gang, a mostly silent boy who glowers and says almost nothing, but is also brave and cares for the kids in his gang.

Where the movie really works is in not giving into cliches. The nurse is brave and capable, and Moses is not what he initially seems, and through the actors charisma and because the movie gives us almost no back story, he is fascinating and a true anti-hero in the best sense of the word.

Its probably one of the best sci-fi films I've seen over the past few years and if you get a chance, I highly recommend it.

Because right now the reviews for John Carter aren't that great, not that it will stop me from going to see a shirtless Tim Riggins.

2 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

I was trying to remember the title of this movie after you were raving about it and i was drinking all that beer...

Sounds perfect for me tonight - i do believe I will rent it.

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh, I've been hearing about this movie. Need to see it. I'm bummed about the John Carter reviews, mostly because I think Taylor Kitsch deserves to be a star. I read Roger Ebert's review yesterday, which actually wasn't terrible... And he clearly had issues more with 19th century sci-fi than the movie itself, but my fav line was something like: and Mars has a climate that conveniently enough allows him to breathe and remain shirtless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...