Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mr. Cellophane...

I remember a few years ago at a romance conference there was woman at the table next to me at the literacy signing. Together we were watching everyone go by, looking at our names, realizing they didn't know who we were and keep walking. She laughed and started singing the song from Chicago about the man who is invisible.

Well last Saturday I feel like I got my 15 seconds of fame. I got a Recommends from Jane and Dear Author. Now this is probably a bigger deal to me than it might be to other people. For one I've been following that blog for years. Not only have I loved so many of the recommendations Jane has made, but I've also loved how she has elevated the conversation in general about the romance book industry.

When I realized I was going to be on the blog I actually welled up with tears. (Unfortunately this happened in my office where my assistant saw me. Since then he has left a packet of tissues on my chair every day with a note that says "Just in case." - He thinks he's very funny.)

But what that review meant to me was for the first time after 15 plus years of writing and publishing I wasn't invisible anymore. I was a recommended author on a popular blog. And I will always look at that moment and cherish it.

Now of course my 15 seconds are up. My Amazon rankings are back to normal. Other reviews have come and gone. And the next books need to be written and written well.

But it sure was a great 15 seconds.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Mazel tov, Steph! Cherish the moment. It can be a little warm ember that you nurture through the cold storms of publishing!

Anonymous said...

I've been out of the loop, so only just now read the review and it is fabulous. Congrats and so well deserved. Having read your work, I'm thrilled, but not surprised that you're getting great reviews.

Maureen McGowan said...

I was so excited for you when I saw that review!!!! Dear Author is to romance writers as Kirkus is to literary writers. SCORE!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...