Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer Reading Had Me a Blast!

Ha! Get it? Summer reading...summer lovin'. The Power of Grease.

I do not know what I was thinking when I planned this summer. It's been non-stop. Between vacations, conferences, cottages, swimming lessons and now camps - I'm wrung out. Wrung. Out. I also haven't gotten anything written since the middle of July - yikes.

I have, however, been reading like a fiend. And lots of great books. Here's my list:

The Lonely Polygamist - Brady Udall is one of my favorite authors. The combination of tears and laughs and anxiety is a potent one.

About Last Night - Ruthie Knox, for those of you who might not have read her yet - is a gem. Funny, smart, sexy, sad. Good good stuff.

The Great Escape - SEP's latest isn't as great as her early works, but it's still a great way to pass the time.

Suzanne Brockman's Darkness book, the new futuristic - I loved this book. It takes a second to get into the world, but once you're in, the pages fly by. Great hero, great heroine, fun chemistry - exciting world. Want more.

The Fault In Our Stars - a very very very sad YA. very very funny and smart, but mostly I stayed in the bedroom and cried.

Liquid Lies - this is a really cool sci-fi romance. I loved the romance and the sci-fi. Fans of Battlestar - this one is for you.

Tessa Dare's first two Spindle Cove books - I LOVED these. Loved them. Gobbled them up. the set up - a small town of oddball outcast women hit a lot of my favorite tropes. They're funny and sweet and very romantic.

Sherry Thomas' first two books in her new series - wow. Now, I didn't love these like I loved some of her other books. I think the fault is mine - I read them too fast and in the car - yuck. But I was DYING to read them. And they're great. Emotional. Gritty. Different.

And finally The Cloud Atlas - just finishing this one. It's amazing. Epic. Tour de Force etc... just don't try to read it when you're going to bed tired. It's dense. But one this last cottage trip I got to spend some time with it when I wasn't exhausted - amazing. Just amazing. Can't wait to watch the trailer.

All right - how about you guys? Reading anything good?

3 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

I loved the Tessa Dare and Sherry Thomas books too.

I'm reading the Chocolate Thief now and loving it but that could be my love of all things Paris.

And I read the Meljean Brook novella which was awesome just because I love that world so much.

Maureen McGowan said...

I literally just started The Fault in Our Stars. Less than a chapter in. As much as I can read on the 504 streetcar from Danforth to Queen. :)
Already sad. One minor quibble. An maybe it's because I know the author's a man, but the main character sounds like a boy to me. Or maybe I just assumed she was until her name was first spoken. I actually thought it was a joke when her name was first mentioned because I was seeing a boy.

But I'll reserve judgement on that until I'm further in.

The book I just finished also has stars in the title... For Darkness Shows the Stars, by Diana Peterfreund. I LOVED it. It reads like great historical romance but with very cool sci-fi surprises. I'm jealous of both the simplicity, yet complexity of the world she set up. Plus it has a great, clever, structure and everyone knows I'm a sucker for that.

Eileen said...

Excellent timing, Molly! My book group is picking books this week. I'll add your recommendations.

I just finished Age of Miracles, which was awesome until the end where it kinda just stopped. I'm not sure what I wanted, but I don't think I got it. Everything else about it was pretty darn good, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...