Wednesday, April 11, 2012

So over Glee

Is anyone else still watching Glee? I'm not sure when I went from being moderately amused to being mostly annoyed.

I do remember when I went from loving it to being only moderately amused. I love, love loved this show in the first season. I loved the subversive, quirky storylines. The characters' bad behavior. The silliness. And that started to fade for me some time early in the second season. In fact, I found this blog post from 18 months ago, and clearly I was already having issues, yet somehow I kept watching... But I'm hitting that point where it's dangling on the precipice of being deleted from my DVR lineup. Glee you have been warned.

It's not that I don't love mindless TV. I totally do. I'm thinking about a discussion we had in the comments last week when Sinead mentioned that there are TV shows that she always records, but doesn't always watch right away. The really heavy dramas are often like that for me too. I love them. They are my favorite things on TV. BUT... I need to be in the right mood to watch them. At the end of a day of writing or revising or whatever, I don't usually feel like something that will require actual thought or even my full attention. This is why I love reality TV and a few sitcoms and why I used to love Glee.

But, is it just me or is it starting to feel like they pick the songs first and then try to fit story lines around the songs, rather than the other way around? Or pick an "issue" and then decide which character will highlight the issue, rather than thinking about what the characters actually might do, or even attempting character arcs or storylines that go past a few episodes. I swear they put Quinn in a wheelchair just so that she and Artie could sing I'm Still Standing.

At best, it's a tad ridiculous that she was in this big car crash, doesn't have a scratch or a bruise or a broken bone or any sign of the craxh, but has a spinal injury bad enough to put her in a chair??? And even if that is possible, or this is supposed to be, say four months later (which clearly it's not), you'd think they've had at least spent a day teaching the actress how to fake being paralyzed. (The guy who plays Artie seems to have it down.) But she kept using her abs and thighs to lift her butt off the chair and for some reason it made me a little cray-cray.

Clearly I'm in a bad mood right now. But how strange (ironic?) is it that my bad mood came from watching Glee. :)

9 comments:

Kwana said...

I'm with you all the. Felling so over it but still I keep giving it one more try. It's so annoying.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I stopped watching and just recently took it off my DVR list. I'm not sure what happened either. What was so charming... I just found "staged". When I started forwarding through all the songs I knew it's day was done.

But the good news... New Girl is right after it. Anyone up for a game of True American?

Karen Whiddon said...

I'm still hanging in there with Glee. Though I DVR it and watch it later (haven't watched it yet). I'm too busy watching NCIS (yay Gibbs) and NCIS Los Angeles.

Maureen McGowan said...

Steph, we totally need to invent our own True American. :)

It actually reminded me of a game my siblings and I invented when we were all in our twenties called "The Grand Toss". Don't remember the rules, but it involved a dart board, our parents indoor pool, bean bags and of course, drinking.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I remember being at the shore with a group of people and it was exactly like that. This crazy drinking game with rules you coudln't really follow - but by 3 beers in you thought it was coolest thing ever.

Another reason I love this show. Whoever rights this knows people who play these games.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get past the first episode. I was more impressed with Smash, but I'm having the same problem as you are with Glee - it's waning...

PS - I can never get those validation characters right - lol!

Eileen said...

I realized end of last season that I didn't actually care what happened to the characters anymore. It seemed like they kept hitting the "we have a message!" story lines. I deleted it off my PVR.

MJFredrick said...

I just watched this week's episode. After ending with something so tragic before the break--the boy who tried to kill himself and the accident--this episode seemed way too light. And Sue's pregnancy? Pah. I did love seeing Matt Bomer dance, and I like Kurt and his dad and Blain. Other than that....I haven't even bought a song since the beginning of last season.

Eileen said...

I lost interest sometime in the second season. I'm like that, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...