Wednesday, April 18, 2012

New Book Jitters

I've got me a serious case of startabookaphobia as I think Steph named it a while back.

Many things have gotten easier the more books I write, but some things never get easier and one thing that seems to get harder each time is starting. Starting used to be one of my favorite parts.

I think because I've got a better grasp now on how important great openings are... it all feels so high pressured to me.

Also, I descended through a few circles of hell while revising my last manuscript, (and those were just revisions for me...) and so I'm probably nervous about plunging myself into that angsty place again.



But, I need to start book 3 in my current contract soon, and I also want to write a short story ASAP. And I'm realizing how long it's been since I started something new...

Yikes. Any tips?

Maybe I just need reminders that this whole writing thing is worth it. There are good parts, right? LOL. Needy much?

* BTW. I don't know who the artist for this fab cartoon is... but I snagged it from here. I think it's my new mascot. I should look at her daily to remind myself how crazy I can be. :)

6 comments:

Karen Whiddon said...

Maureen, I just started a new book last week and spent way too much time angsting over it. Finally, I just started - ok, I wrote four different first pages. Then I chose one. And went with it, telling myself I could always revise later.

I've now moved on to the second chapter, but I just shelved it too and am starting over on it as well. Some things never change, despite publishing a bunch of books.

Good luck!

Stephanie Doyle said...

Maureen - relax, have a cup of tea, turn on the computer....

Then finish the series because I would really really like to see how it ends.

See... no pressure. Just some fans waiting to see what's in that pretty head of yours. :)

Eileen said...

No. Anxiety girl is MY mascot.

My solution to startabookaphobia (which is a brilliant term, btw) is to not necessarily start at the beginning. Is there a scene that's alive in your head already? Write that. Maybe it IS the beginning. Maybe it's not. You'll still have started writing, though, and that breeds more writing.

Sinead M said...

You need drinks!! nothing cures anxiety better than drinks....

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh, I love all of these suggestions. Especially Sinead's. It sounds the most practical. ;)

Molly O'Keefe said...

If that cartoon had pink hair - it would be you. Yes you.

You're going to rock.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...