Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Awake

So I'm kind of grooving on this show Awake. It's about a cop who has been in a terrible car accident and he is now living a double reality. In one reality, his wife died in the car accident and he's trying to parent a grieving teenaged son. Then he goes to sleep in that reality and wakes up to one where his son died in the car accident and he's trying to keep his marriage together with his grieving wife.

Meanwhile, he's working two cases - one in each reality. The details of the cases cross back and forth between the two realities although the cases are different. So an address in one turns out to be the key to solving the crime in the other. It's complicated. Also he's seeing two shrinks, one in each reality. Both psychologists are convinced they're the real one and both have slightly different interpretations of what he's doing and why he's doing it.

I find it very absorbing, but I can't help but marvel at what the writers are doing each week. It's a yeoman's job. First of all, they have to write two crime stories. Then they also have to have two emotional turning points for the character (that are usually linked). Then they have to have the pieces that cross back and forth. Truly, I'm kind of in awe over the whole thing.

I'm a little sad that no one seems to be talking about it, though. I have a bad feeling that it's going to be a one season wonder. Anyone else watching it? Anyone else like it? Hate it?

7 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

I'm so interested in that show and haven't had a chance to see it - what a twisty plot - so cool!!!

Maureen McGowan said...

I saw the pilot and then part of what I think was the last one... When he decided to move.

I'm intrigued too. It will be a huge challenge to keep it compelling after we all get used to the overall premise.

How sad is it that I think we'll start to go "ho hum" over the two reality thing... because it's pretty damn cool.

Part of me wants it to be over in just a season and have a resolution. Preferably a shocking surprise one.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Never heard of this show! When/where is it.

Also I can't find Luther. Maybe it's just not running currently.

fakesteph said...

I've been blogging about it and telling everyone about it. It's my favorite show! NBC 10pm! It's so good and Jason Isaacs is an amazing actor. It is seriously the best new show I have seen in a LONG time!

Eileen said...

There was one episode where they hinted at the accident being caused by a big conspiracy. Then they seem to have let that slide. Or maybe they're just being subtle.

I'm glad you like it, too, fakesteph! And glad you know when it's on. With the DVR I don't know when anything is actually on anymore.

Anonymous said...

Oooh... I've been PVRing it, but haven't watched any yet, but I will now.

And Steph, Luther is really hard to find, it's BBC tv which isn't always available.

Eileen said...

Speaking of BBC, I went on imdb to see what else Jason Isaacs has been in and discovered that there's been a tv series based on Case Histories! Anyone see this? Has it played in the states at all?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...