Monday, March 15, 2010

What I am Reading Now

I was going to write about my sudden and totally inappropriate rage towards other mothers and other writers, but I decided not too. I got too angry. Maybe another time, when I've had some sleep.

Instead, let's talk about what we're reading. A little lame, I know. But I am reading a book so good right now, I want to scream it from the rooftops. And I'm almost done with it, and then I have Eileen's Don't Kill The Messenger (arrived the other day, so crisp, so clean, covered in that new book smell - I love it!!) And then...after that...nothing. So, I need some recommendations and ideas. So, dig deep into your TBR pile or the ten books you have on the go right now - and let me know what's good.

As for the book I'm reading: Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden

It's got two of my favorite storylines - Native Americans and War. That's weird. Can't watch diaper commercials without crying but give me a story about trench warfare and I'm glued. This time it's Cree and World War I. It's freaking amazing. So many times when writers try to tell two stories through flashbacks, one of them gets boring and the whole book pulls lopsided. Or worse, there's no forward momentum or mystery to keep the readers interested in what's happening in the pages between flashbacks. Not this book. Very much not this book. It's amazing. Big mystery, lots of questions, amazing story telling. The horrors of war told from a totally different pov. Not that a soldier POV is different - but a Canadian Cree Indian - it's fabulous.

So, what are you reading?

7 comments:

Karen W said...

I just finished reading The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. Amazing book, thought he pacing was *really* slow in the beginning. But it's worth the read. I've gone back and re-read the last chapter and epilogue three times now - talk about a lesson in how to do big, emotional endings.

I'm currently reading Don't Kill the Messenger on my Kindle. Another excellent book is Barbara O'Neal's latest. Or any of her books. Love her.

I've got a bunch of books in my towering TBR stack, as well as on my Kindle, but since I'm at work, I can't sneak a peek and tell you what. Maybe I'll come back later.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I'm reading the latest Demonica novel by Larissa Ione(??). I just finished Kresely Cole's latest. I still have the Laura Kinsale and the Courtney Milan on my TBR. And of course after reading Hunger Games I'm waiting for Catching Fire. My assistant is bringing in her copy.

Plus now I'm bogged down in Victorian research. For fun I'm reading the first Doyle/ Sherlock Holmes mystery.

I hear this guy Holmes is a real character :)

Maureen McGowan said...

I had a reading binge last week. Didn't get through as many as I'd hoped, still pretty good.

Finished the ARC of Chevy Stevens' Still Missing. Very good. Very different. A thriller with a very non-thriller-type structure.

Finished Gail Carriger's Souless. Parts were very fast paced. Others less so. But hilarious. Laughed out loud constantly. If this author can keep up that voice through more books, this will be an awesome series.

Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Very bleak but also good. Basically horror for the YA market with a little romance tossed in.

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Wanted to read this one because I knew how well it did and although it's light in tone, the story's got more meat to it than I expected. Heroine's a little prickly, which is nice to see... And a quite hot little unrequited love thing going on. All in all, I had a good reading week. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to read the YA's Maureen lent me and from reading the back copy, pretty excited about all of them.

Maureen McGowan said...

Sinead... one of them is a zombie book. But don't hold that against it. I think you'll like it.

Molly O'Keefe said...

Hey karen - is the winter garden the Russia World War 2 book? Clearly that's something I need to read. I've never heard of Barbara O'Neal, or maybe I have and it's just one of the many things that's fallen out of my brain the last few months...

Steph - I love those Demonica books - I think I'm a few behind - those are perfect for my summer holiday.

Maureen your YA recommendations of late have been perfect - I'm going to check out Souless.

my daughter just dumped a bottle of milk allover herself and me - how the hell did she get the top off????

Eileen said...

Just finished the latest in Alyssa Day's Warriors of Poseidon series. Fabulous. Lots of action. Lots of emotion. Great worldbuilding and really a primer on how to do a series without clogging up your books with back story while still keeping the reader grounded in a complex multi-layered world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...