Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Holidays

New Blogs from the Drunk writers are going to be hit and miss over the holidays, so first and foremost.

Happy Holidays to all out there. Thanks for reading the blog and commenting, it is, in our lonely, every day worlds, really fun to hear other’s thoughts. And usually really thought provoking for us.

I’ve hit the first five chapters on the current WIP and as usual realize my initial plotting was too shallow, too vague and ultimately not going to take me any further into the book.

This is nothing new for me. I hit this stage with almost every book, and learning from past mistakes, I have to plot all the way through to the big conclusion, otherwise I end the book with a whimper, not a bang.

For me, this is the point where I also try and sort through all I learned while writing the last book, all I’ve picked up through numerous drunk writing sessions and from reading other, smarter writers.

I have to be a better plotter. No more dead scenes, no more scenes that only move the plot forward an inch, it had better be a yard, or the scene has to be changed.
No more scenes to establish character either. This is a personal point, but if I can’t establish character during the scenes that actually move the plot along, then I’m doing something wrong.
I’m trying for bigger scope, bigger stakes, my characters will face life and death situations, and I’m going to try really, really hard to up the emotional content of my books, never an easy thing for me.

So I’m spending Christmas plotting.

And I’m looking forward to it.

4 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I wish I had your plotting brain. At least I get to borrow it from time to time. :-)

But I think I, too, need to write the first chapters of this new book before I can stop and finish the plotting, and then probably go back and start all over again. The more I write, the more I realize you have to be willing to toss your first attempt into the garbage.

Wylie Kinson said...

Merry Christmas DW's! And best wishes for 2008 :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Wylie.

Have a great Christmas.

Amy Ruttan said...

Merry Christmas to all the Drunk Writers!!! Here's to many successes in 2008!!

Thanks for the year of interesting and entertaining posts. Even though I lurk alot I always great insights and laughs from DWT. :D

I don't plot Sinead so when I hit that point ... I'm ready to tear my hair out.

I need to FORCE myself to plot. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...