Sunday, January 06, 2008

What I Did Over My Christmas Vacation...

I gained five pounds. Damn my mother's banana bars! I managed to leave almost all of my family's Christmas gifts on my table in Toronto. My Dad got an orange in his stocking from me instead of the three million John Wayne movies I got for him. I wrote zero until yesterday when I managed to open my laptop, squeeze out two pages before passing out, exhausted from my efforts. I got snowed in at my folks house - which was kind of nice with all those banana bars. BABY MAKES THREE got nominated for the Romantic Times Best Superromance of 2007! A fantastic holiday gift.

I finished Battlestar Gallactica. And I totally get why Sinead and Maureen couldn't spend five minutes together without blathering on about some fantastic element of that show - namely how many times Apollo appeared in a towel. It's fantastic storytelling anchored by some seriously grounded and dynamic actors - Mary MacDonald slayed me in the pilot and she just got better. Of course Starbuck and her past and her angst is easily as interesting a character as Tim Riggins - and that's pretty darn interesting. The only weak spot is Boomer/Cylon whatever number she is. I didn't believe her for a minute with any of the emotions or conflict she was supposed to have.

I saw Alpha Dog and am now officially in love with Justin Timberlake. The scene at the end when he's taping that boy's mouth -- oh my god! Powerful, really powerful stuff. Who knew he had it in him?

I saw I Am Legend and you know I was really blown away. I am a Will Smith fan from the Fresh Prince days and I still had doubts that this would be a good movie. And it was. It was poignant and scary and sad and I think it stayed really true to it's sci-fi roots. Watching it reminded me that every scene, every moment is a fork in the road and you can pick the fork that might be more dramatic, bigger or flashier, or you can pick the fork that stays true to your story. Watching I am Legend I kept going 'okay, here's where we get the Hollywood Blockbuster scene' or "here's where Will Smith says his one-liner that everyone will be copying for months' - but they never happened, the writer's took the fork that kept the movie's focus. The movie was big in a really small way and I loved it.

Husband got to finally play Guitar Hero on New Year's Eve - that was a big moment for him. Mick got a bunch of firetrucks - so, all in all, a great Holiday. How about you guys?

10 comments:

Donna said...

Congratulations on the book! Happy New Year from Texas! Just dropping by...

Anonymous said...

Molly, huge congrats.. had no idea... Wow!
Yeah, the battlestar love continues... I'm jonesing so badly, I'm going to get back my DVD's and watch seasons 1 and 2 from scratch again.
Especially as season 2 of FNL is just not living up to my expectations.
I'm seeing every plot twist coming a mile away. Where are the lovely surprises from season 1?
And saw I am Legend as well, and thought it was pretty good, Will Smith was amazing in a role which will never see any award recognition, but there were some plotholes that bugged me.
Molly, have you seen Juno... you will love it. Funny, sweet, witty and so well acted.
Just like Maureen said..

Maureen McGowan said...

HUGE congratulations on the nomination, Molly!!!! Fabulous!

Wasn't Alpha Dog a cool movie? Timberlake was a great surprise and that kid... Anton something. Wow. He played Bird in the series Huff that I loved... He's amazing. I think we'll see great things from that strange young man.

Interesting about I am Legend... Maybe I'll break down and go see it now. I heard a few things that made me think it would be like Independence Day for me. That I'd leave the theatre wanting to vomit ;-) But I trust your judgement. Mostly. ;-) Okay. After your FNL recommendation I vow never to question your judgement again. :-)

Wylie Kinson said...

Welcome back to blogland -- y'all have been missed :)

Congrats on BMT!!!
I was hoping Santa might leave the BG dvds under the tree, but alas... I'll have to fork out the dough to Walmart myself.
Santa also neglected to leave me Guitar Hero...
I must have been a very naughty girl!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Molly and huge congrats on your nomination!! You must be thrilled. And now I'm totally curious about banana bars - recipe please?

Now I wish I'd stopped my cable surfing when I saw Alpha Dog come up. Will have to definitely check it out. Am I the only one who thinks Justin Timberlake looks like a young David Niven? (I saw tons of old movies over the holidays...)

Molly O'Keefe said...

I wish I knew who David Niven was - but if he's adorable than yes.

THe banana bars are just like banana cake with cream cheese frosting - the most addictive thing in the whole world when they just sit on a platter all cut up -

I am excited about the nomination - thanks, guys!! That book has been a strange lightening rod that's for sure. People love it or hate it.

Wylie - sorry Santa wasn't better to you. Guitar Hero is ridiculous - it really is.

Wylie Kinson said...

Ridiculous good or ridiculous bad? (yes, there is a difference, LOL)

Can it make me look like any more a fool than virtual bowling (complete with little back kick).

And I'm waiting for someone to rant on the canceled Globes!

Unknown said...

Glad to see you back Molly and congrats on your nomination for BABY MAKES THREE...that is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the nomination!! I can't say I'm surprised in the least.

I got all caught up on Dexter, finishing season two a few days ago. Wow...

We also made it out to the movies to see Sweeny Todd, which I completely loved. If you haven't seen it, go!

Molly O'Keefe said...

Thanks Christyne! Ridiculous good - Wylie.

I am so excited about Sweeny Todd - I feel a little high school about it. I want to put postes of Johnny Depp back up on my wall. He was on my wall during his 21 Jump Street Days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...