Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Idea Stage

Okay, so I forgot it was Wednesday, my DWT day, and I haven't thought of a thing to talk about.

One excuse is getting ready for visitors and Christmas and all that good stuff. Over the years, I've perfected the shove-everything-in-a-closet-or-corner technique of housecleaning, but the fatal flaw of that technique is coming out to bite me in the *ss. The fatal flaw is that at some point there are no more corners or closets, and then it's about 100x more work to get the house looking tidy than if you'd been doing it properly all the way along... Gah! I have a big house and I'm ashamed to admit I've been using the shove-it-over-there-and-deal-with-it-later technique since I bought the house nearly six years ago. It has come back to haunt me. Big time. I've been tidying for several days solid. And it looks worse. There are seriously rooms in my house you can't walk through right now. (Molly's going to say, "What's new?" But seriously... this is worse than anything you've seen here before.)

But that's not what I was going to post about and if I were feeling clever I might figure out a way to tie that to what I was going to talk about... but I'm tired from spending 2 hours digging my car out of heavy wet snow so I won't even try.

I wanted to just say, "Isn't the idea stage fun???"

Those of you who know what I'm up to will go, "Idea stage? How could Maureen be at that stage? She's in the middle of something."

But I'm putting that something aside for a while because I came up with a really fun idea that I love. And one that will make me eat a lot of words I've said in the past in terms of what I think I should write and what kind of writer I want to be. (But I'm a master rationalizer, so I'm sure I'll figure out a way to make it consistent with things I've said in the past.)

We'll see. Too early to talk about it, but let's just way that brainstorming is fun and I haven't been so excited about an idea since, well, ever.

6 comments:

Kimber Chin said...

What?

You're just going to leave us hanging? At least give us a hint. Are you straying away from women's fiction?

Anonymous said...

Love the idea stage... love it, because it has all the potential and none of the real work of sitting down and pounding out words..

Molly O'Keefe said...

I'm excited about your idea too -- I am more excited about your idea than I am in my book right now.

The idea stage is fun -- Sinead is right, all the possiblity none of the sloggy, hard work. I'm at page 200 in my wip and it's like I just stepped off the map or something. I keep looking around going -- how the hell did I get here? And I really thought I plotted this thing out.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea stage too. All those new heads to get inside of, the new scenery, the new conflict, have fun.

Amy Ruttan said...

Maureen, I am at the stage of no more closets or corners to hide junk *sigh* right before freaking Christmas.

The idea stage is my favorite stage ... I just passed it, into the actually planning point (which I don't like so much).

Happy Holidays good luck with the house cleaning.

Wylie Kinson said...

argh. cleaning. The only thing that makes me want to come back as a man (a male chauvenist!) in my next life.

I love the idea stage. It's writing it down that's hard ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...