Monday, February 04, 2013

Burns Supper

I've been going on and on about this for a while, so I apologize if you're sick of it. I can't seem to stop myself, though. I attended my first ever Burns Supper on Saturday. I know it wasn't really Burns night, but my Scottish friends were in Long Beach on the correct night and figured better late than never.

So at about 7:00 on Saturday, a group of us showed up at the home of fabulous author Catriona McPherson and her handsome husband Neil McRoberts. We had quite an eclectic crew. Some academics, some writers, a software engineer/musician/photographer and an irrepressible Frenchman, to name a few.

My sweetheart gave the Toast to the Lassies and it was incredibly sweet. I was then charged with giving the Lassie's Reply, which I took quite seriously. Mainly. At any rate, I read a lot of Robert Burns' poetry and picked up a few handy biographical facts.

The highlight of the whole thing, however, was Neil giving the Immortal Memory. He gave it all an historical context, tied Burns' poetry to both the French Revolution and the creation of the Constitution and, I must say, looked mighty fine in a kilt.

It was all topped off then by this fabulous trifle, which had undergone a serious transplant from one dish to another earlier in the day and yet still made what I now know is the required farting noise of a good trifle.


Oh, and the haggis wasn't half bad either! Especially when you mushed it up with the potatoes and the turnips.

5 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I was at a Burns Supper this year too! At my sisters'.

My 14-y-o niece and one of her besties "piped in" the haggis playing Scotland the Brave on kazoos.

And we drank a lot of Scotch. Fun night.

Eileen said...

I was amazed at how little whisky (notice the spelling) was left at the end of the night! We had no piping, although we had very authentic Scottish accents reading Ode to a Haggis.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I have never heard of a Burns Supper... but wow that sounds like a fun time!

Anonymous said...

It sounds amazing... I love a theme dinner.... and well, scotch...

Eileen said...

It's a Scottish thing. I was actually invited in part as revenge for inviting them to a Passover Seder and not really warning them what they were getting into. They also had no warning about the gefilte fish. Laugh's on them. I liked the haggis!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...