Thursday, April 05, 2012

Book Club...



For the first time I joined a book club. We're reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 all 800 pages of it.

It's my first Stephen King book, I've only read short stories before, and I find that the things I want to discuss in book club are things I'm considering as a writer.

He breaks POV and speaks to the reader. He double quotes a lot. He has a tendency to go off on tangents that until I get to the end I won't know if they were meaningful tangents. His turn of phrase sometimes can be absolutely perfect to describe something. Despite the tangents I find his storytelling completely engaging.

But that's not really the point of Book Club is it. I mean these will be other readers and I really don't know what they will want to discuss. Maybe the plot, or questions about the plot or the characters.

I know this - I can't wait.

On a side note, I know all of you out there are probably tired of me talking about me... but I have do it again.

The Way Back is officially out in stores if you would like to check it out.

6 comments:

Eileen said...

Mazel tov on hitting the shelves!!!

I am the only writer in my book club, but I've found that they actually like discussing some of the more writerly things in a book that either bother me or make me want to jump up and cheer. Sometimes they don't care, but it's another way of looking at a book and sharing those viewpoints is part of what book club is all about. That and wine.

Anonymous said...

I need a bookclub... oh, and wine...

Eileen said...

Yes, Sinead. You do. I firmly believe that.

Maureen McGowan said...

Was so excited to see The Way Back show up on my kindle. :)

The only book group I belonged to... we never really managed to discuss the book much. Was more about wine. :)

But it is interesting to discuss books with smart people who aren't writers. Interesting and frustrating in a way....

Saly said...

Stephanie I've been reading your books lately, finished The Contestant yesterday and Got Game today.

Have just bought The Way back, hope to read it tomorrow.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Saly - you are officially my new best friend!

Hope you enjoy.

Stephanie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...