As everyone who follows the blog knows For the First Time is out now in stores and available on line. With any new release these are the things an author should feel about her book:
1. Over the moon excited. After months of hard work, revisions, edits, and promotion the day is finally here.
2. A sense of accomplishment. See above about the work.
3. Nervous anticipation. Will readers find it/buy it?
4. Nervous agitation. If they find it will they like it? Or hate it. Or really hate it… because that’s how author’s think.
5. Hopeful and eager. If readers find it, and like it, then maybe if you write another book they will like that too, so as an author it’s time to go back to work.
This is how I feel when a book is released:
1. Neurotic. It’s out there now. I can’t change it. Oh my God what have I done?
2. Morose. I probably didn’t work hard enough. Maybe if I had worked harder it could have been better.
3. Like a loser and/or failure. I didn’t promote enough. Not enough giveaways/tweeting/facebooking/ads. No one will ever find this book. Everyone is going to want everyone else’s book more.
4. Embarrassed. Everyone on line is thinking will I PLEASE stop promoting my freaking book, it’s embarrassing already.
5. Hopeful and eager. Okay maybe if readers do find it, and they do like it, they might like the next one. So I should go back to work.
I know. It’s pathetic. I’m the Eeyore of authors. Someone tweeted me congratulations on my release and I was like… uh… why?
I know this is not how it should be done. I should be celebrating my book. I should be talking it up. I should be developing a street team to champion my work. But here is the thing. It’s. Just. Not. Me.
After so many years in this business I have decided to let my writing and my stories determine my success. I like tweeting so I do it. I think having a facebook and webpage is important so I do that too. I will read my reviews (because I can’t not) and I am happy to guest blog or do giveaways when asked. But being my own cheerleader, not going to happen. And I have to accept it might mean my books don’t do as well as others, but I think I’ve gotten to the point where I’m ready to stop beating myself up for that. If people like my work they'll come back for more. If they like it, they will recommend it to others. If the book is good it will get some decent reviews. Or not.
I'm just going to let it all happen.
So in the spirit of Eeyore… let me sell you on this giveaway. I guess, if you want a book, I’ll send you one, though you might not like it. But maybe you will. I don’t know….
No gimics. No tricks. No picking anyone from comments. I’ve got 5 copies of Act of Persuasion and 5 copies of For the First time (A few large print so state your preference.) If you want 1 or both, send me your address and I’ll mail them to you. You can contact me www.stephaniedoyle.net
First come, first serve.