Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Fall TV: Why am I laughing if it's so bad?

We've now watched two episodes of The Crazy Ones. News Flash: Robin Williams is super funny. He makes me laugh pretty much every time he's on screen. I'm also wondering if there will be actually be a third episode to watch because it is so terrible. I mean, really really terrible.

Yet, I'm still laughing. The set up that had the art guy cleaning duck butts? Stoopid. Robin Williams is raising ducklings for a pond. He is, of course, doing it in their gigantic advertising firm. Of course, it also provides a moment for a learning moment. I'm sorry. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Robin Williams and the art guy walking through the firm with the ducklings trailing after them? Adorable. Funny.

I sort of knew it was just going to be a showcase for Robin Williams' zaniness so I don't know why I'm disappointed that it's not something more. I think I thought that having Sarah Michelle Gellar in it meant it would have other substance.

Anybody else watching this? Anybody else watching something that they both hate and laugh at?

4 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I didn't watch that one... Robin Williams went from amusing to annoying for me some time during the early 90's. Maybe because I used to listen to a San Francisco morning radio show that had a lot of comedians as guests who ALL accused him of stealing jokes. They may have all just had sour grapes, since Williams was so famous at the time, but it left me feeling icky about Robin Williams and I've never really gotten over it.

I watched a few new sitcoms. The Goldbergs. Won't watch again. Just nothing new there..
The Millers. I <3 Will Arnett and I like the set up, but the mom's personality changed 2/3 of the way through the show, merely to set up a gag of her being in her pajamas at his party, which was not something that woman would do, based on the first scenes... so not sure if I'll watch again.

Trophy Wife, on the other hand, is surprisingly smart. Not quite as brilliant as the early Modern Family episodes, but almost reminds me of it... Smart, distinct characters, fresh believable but funny situations. The jokes don't come from slapstick or ridiuclous set ups, but things like the kids spilling salsa on the uptight mom's (Marcia Gay Harden) couch. The new wife (Malin Ackerman) not being able to get one of her stepsons to fall asleep (haven't we all been there???) etc. I have hope for this show... Which probably means it'll be cancelled. ;)

Maureen McGowan said...

I think it's the mixture of touching family stuff with smart humor in Trophy Wife that reminds me of Modern Family... Plus it's single camera with no laugh track. Those kinds of sit coms always seem smarter to me...

Maureen McGowan said...

Also, it's yet another depiction of how the old definition of family is changing... The reality of how families are today.
But instead of the multi-generational, with a gay couple, set-up of Modern Family, Trophy Wife has a blended family with kids and three women who are, or have been, married to the same man. And since the man is played by Josh from The West Wing... it's hard not to like him. Plus, the ex-wives aren't painted as evil or out to get the pretty, young new wife. Do they accept her, or think she's a real grown up? No. And that creates the tension, but they aren't overtly mean or one dimensional, either. I've only seen 2 episodes, but all the adult characters have shown empathy for each other at this point...

Okay, clearly I should have done a post on this show, instead of blathering on in the comments... Clearly I am procrastinating and avoiding my deadline... Over and out. ;)

Eileen said...

Okay. You've sold me. Trophy Wife is going on the DVR. The Crazy Ones is being dropped.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...