Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ode to Jane Eyre...

So the new movie is out and of course I had to see it immediately. I have seen every variation and hope they continue to produce them throughout my life. I count Jane Eyre as one of my all time favorite female characters in fiction. When a new version comes out I always love to see how they’ll interpret the story, what lines of dialogue they’ll use, etc. In this one they used the … “as if there was a string tied to my rib…” My favorite.

This I thought was a very good version. Jane for me was very convincing. But what I liked about this version is they started the movie with her leaving Rochester. So we see her trek through the moors, her suffering until she finally arrives at the Rivers door. Then we see her life essentially being told through back story. Sort of cliché I know, but done with great affect here because I really got to see how the events of her childhood formed who she was.

In the book, she suffers, she suffers, her bff dies, she suffers some more and finally there is happiness, until there is more suffering. Bronte did not give her girl a break. Talk about throwing her in the dumpster!

But looking at it retrospectively I was able to really see how each event in her life brought her to the place she was. I remember reading the book - which I didn’t do until I was 22 – and screaming at Jane to stay with Rochester. What is the BIG deal? Go to Paris. Pretend you’re married. Who will know?

As she says… she’ll know. And it’s the iron core belief in herself that makes this heroine so compelling. She is plain, little and poor. She has ugly dresses and she’s always wearing her hair in that awful knot. Yet Rochester loves her and every single time I believe it. This movie really helped to showcase her developement into the woman.

Jane Eyre might be the very first Bombshell. She is tough, resilient, strong, witty and she loves. She loves completely and with her whole heart.

Great great character. I think I’ve been aspiring to write someone as amazing as her my entire writing live.

What about you? Who is your favorite heroine? Favorite hero?

9 comments:

Karen Whiddon said...

Right now I'm reading Kristin Hannah's night road. There are two heroines and both of them have had the worst things imaginable happen. And just when you think it can't get any worse - BAM.

I'm not finished yet, but the unrelenting grimness is about to get to me. Yet I'm cheering for one of the heroines (and now despise the other), so I keep reading. Because it's GOT to get better, right? I can only hope.

Since the author is one of my hardcover buys and one of my all-time favs, I have to believe I'll get my happy ending, I'll cry and sigh and put the book on my keeper shelf as I've done with all her others.

BTW, I love Jane Eyre also.

Eileen said...

Oh, fun game! When I was a kid, I'd say it was Jo in Little Women. I loved her. How smart she was. How true to herself she was.

Recently, I've become obsessed with Miss Skeeter from The Help. I really want to be that brave and to open my eyes and really see.

Anonymous said...

I was always a sucker for Austen's Lizzie.. But Jane Eyre is pretty wonderful.

I want to see that movie so badly. Both the leads are so appealing.

Maureen McGowan said...

Like Sinead, I think Elizabeth Bennett is one of my all time favorite characters.


On the other side of the coin from characters like Jane Eyre (whom I do love, don't get me wrong) I've always loved some determined, deluded and slightly ditzy comic characters, too... Like Sophie Kinsella's Becky, or Cher in Clueless (Emma), or Elle in Legally Blonde, or just about any character Eileen Cook writes.

To me these are characters who are so misguided but so good hearted and believable, because (like Jane Eyre) the writer makes you understand why they are the way they are... I find characters like that hilarious when they're well-drawn. (Annoying by copy-cat writers who can't pull it off.)

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh, and I loved this Jane Eyre.

I think Mia Wasikowska is a small miracle of an actress. I predict big things for her.

Between this and The Kids are All Right and Alice in Wonderland... totally different characters in all three and totally convincing in all three. And she's Australian? Have never heard a hint of an Aussie accent in any of her performances.

Eileen said...

Did you see her in the first season of In Treatment? I was in agony for her.

Maureen McGowan said...

I haven't seen that, Eileen, but am DYING to.

Eileen said...

It was fascinating. I got really caught up in the first season and then haven't watched the subsequent ones. Lack of time and nobody wanted to watch it with me, I guess. Still, Mia was amazing. So was Gabriel Byrne.

Molly O'Keefe said...

Sorry thursday seemed to get swept away somehow - the first characters I really loved, that totally spoke to me were emily from the Emily of New Moon series and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Karen - I have that book too I think - the one in Russia? I need to dig that out.

I'm edxcited about jayne Eyre because I so adore Fassbender - he was incredible in Inglorious Bastards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...