Thursday, January 27, 2011

Uplifting and inspirational... sort of?

Okay – I had a post that was really negative. It was written, it was scheduled and it was all set to go. I was just going to spew away! Then I read Maureen’s really great post yesterday and I just couldn’t do it. I would have been the all time Deputy Downer.

I had to remember that she’s right. The flipside to saying that every good thing in publishing is followed by a something bad is to say that everything bad in publishing is followed by something good. If we don’t ever enjoy the good when it comes it can make for a really depressing career.

Letting ourselves dwell on the negatives only brings us down. And in the middle of winter, when it’s cold and snowy do we really need anything else to do that?

So here is to my list of good things that I WILL focus on.

1. I plan to start on my new book. It finally all came raining down from the skies. And new books are always fun (unless you’re scared of them like Eileen said – but we’re not going to be scared because this is a POSTIVE POST).

2. I’ve lost six pounds on my new diet. Only 14 more to go before I have to start my 2nd 20. (Doesn’t 2nd 20 sound much better than 40!)

3. I got 4 ½ stars in RT for my Romantic Suspense due out next month. Which is good because it might be the last book I ever publish… (Slaps hand! No negativity here!).

4. Maureen has two books coming out and Molly has a book coming out and Eileen has a book coming out … and I like to read really good books.

That’s my list for right now. And it’s pretty decent.

And although we're not dwelling - venting can also be okay in little spurts. And since Maureen asked everyone about the good stuff yesterday - I'm giving everyone license to vent a little.

I'll start... I MISS WINE!!!!! Why oh why can't it be calorie free?

Now you go.

9 comments:

Karen W said...

Steph, first off congrats on the 4.5 stars! See, we should always critique each others wips!

Second - YOU GAVE UP WINE???? OMG! I am SOOOO jealous, because I have been struggling with the idea (gasp) that I need to give up beer. It's the only way I'm going to lose weight. All the weight training, cardio, resistance training in the world is for naught unless I ditch the empty calories. But (whine) it's so hard.

Also congrats on the 6 pounds lost and amazing way to motivate yourself. Will I even reconize you the next time I see you? You go girl.

Yay too on being positive. I could use a little of that too. Especially on days like this, in a week that's been as crappy as this one has. Sigh.

Eileen said...

Wow! Nice set of numbers, Steph! 6 lbs? 4.5 stars? Most excellent!

I gave up booze for the month of January so I feel your pain, but I also feel the good. There was a moment in spin class where I swear I could feel the toxins leaving my body. My friends do seem a little less witty though . . .

Stephanie Doyle said...

Now Karen let's not get crazy!!! I didn't "give it up" - what would be the purpose of LIFE!

I have just dramatically reduced.

I still "wine" cheat. But now only on Fridays and Saturdays as opposed to Monday - Sundays :)

Eileen I feel those toxins leaving too... right in time for Friday when I fill my body back up!

Maureen McGowan said...

Congrats on the review and starting the new book!!!

Calorie free wine is an awesome idea. Someone needs to invent that. Now. :)

Anonymous said...

Uplifting, does this mean I have to look on the sunny side of things tomorrow as well... that's a lot of pressure...

It is hard to maintain positive in this industry, that's what our writer friends are for. To help keep our chins up.

But I still don't feel like being positive.. I feel like wallowing in my own misery..

Stephanie Doyle said...

Sinead - if you want to wallow for a while I say wallow.

After all we don't want to become one of those really happy happy blogs... everyone will stop reading us.

We'll be like cheerful morning people! (No offense to cheerful morning people - it's just that until I've had my coffee I want to kill you all.)

Maureen McGowan said...

Ack! Cheerful morning people? Perish the thought. Sinead you can wallow all you like. Lord knows I'm a master wallower. Just want to break the habit of seeing the negative even in the positive. I need to enjoy the positive when it comes, even if it then leads to worse crashes.

Molly O'Keefe said...

F you and your six pounds!!

Molly O'Keefe said...

Kidding. Hey!! COngrats on the 4.5 stars and even more about starting the new book - I can't wait to read both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...