Friday, September 28, 2012

I am so sorry about the Spoilers

that said, anyone watching this who wants to watch Breaking Bad and hasn't gotten around to it yet, please stop reading this.

I just finished season 4 and while the show has faults (some episodes are paced slowly), what they are doing with their characters is amazing.

They have taken their main protagonist, the hero of the series and completely turned him, so now, at the end of the fourth season, he's a completely different man from the one who started the series.

The beauty of the fourth season is that the main villain, Gus Fring, may be a better man than Walt, or at least that's the question we're left with at the very end. And what the show has done beautifully is shift the focus, so now, the hero of the series is Jesse, the high school drop out, meth addict turned meth cook, who Walt once mentored and now ruthlessly manipulates.

Needless to say, I'm excited to watch the 5th season, and more importantly, the end, to see what Walt has coming to him, and how it happens, because he's now the villain.

It's an interesting idea, taking your hero and transforming him into a villain, and one I'm not sure I've seen on TV before. It means having a new hero waiting in the wings and a escalating series of events that turns a person, a meek, family oriented, science teacher into a homicidal drug kingpin. It's something I'd love to play with in a different setting, say a fantasy setting.

That's what great TV does, is give us interesting ideas and concepts and shows us how they can play out. And that's maybe why, I shouldn't watch another Bachelor Pad.

and soon, Vampire Diaries. I'm stupidly excited for the first episode.

2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

Loved the 4th season--that Frigg character=amazing--and so far the 5th is great too.

I watched some of the Emmy's and saw Aaron Paul accept his and he thanked the writer/creator for letting him live past the 1st season. I guess the original plan was to kill off Jessie fairly early on. So glad they didn't.

Fifth Season, both Jessie and Skyler become protagonists of sorts. And Walt gets worse. And Landry from FNL... well, I don't want to put in more spoilers. Let's just say he's in it. Wow.

They split the 5th season in two and I can't wait for the second half to start...

Also, like you, can't wait for TVD. :)

Stephanie Doyle said...

Absolutey on using things you see in TV and movies to come up with my ideas.

I haven't written it yet - but I remember from Veronica Mars I loved the Veronica/Logan paradox. She was sooooo good and he was sooo bad... but they were soooo hot for each other.

Someday I want to write a story like that.

And no - I have no shame in steading. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...