Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Beer and Books

I've told this story here before, but since it is one of my superpowers to remind people of humiliating and embarrassing things that I have done, I will tell it again.

The night that Molly won the Rita (do you remember that, Molly? the whole golden statue thing?), she bought a round. Now, I don't drink beer that often, but the lobby wine was giving me a headache so I asked Molly for some kind of girly beer. She came back and handed me a bottle wrapped in a napkin. I took one sip and said, "Why, that's a delightful beverage!" I removed the napkin and saw that it was a Bud Light.

I was so embarrassed. Molly tried so hard not to snort and chose not to mock me, sweet girl that she is.

Anyway, here's the thing. I know it's not good beer. Yet, it's what I like. I really did (and do) find it delightful. Would it be better to drink something I don't like as much? Or do I go ahead and indulge my love of something that I know is sort of bad.

So where do books come in? I think you can guess. I have, on occasion, gotten frustrated with smart friends who like bad books. I'll ask them what they liked about them and they'll shrug and say things like, "I just wanted something mindless." Didn't the overuse of adverbs bother them? What about the clunky dialogue? Nonsensical plot?

Nope. No more than the lack of hops or malt or whatever else I'm supposed to be liking in beer bother me about Bud Light.

I always think that people respond on a subconscious level to good writing, but I'm beginning to think that's not any more true than me responding subconsciously to good beer.

Is there something you know is kinda bad that you like anyway?

10 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

The Voice - I just can't quit it...

I think you're right, though. I can get on a pretty high horse about what I think is good or not - but then I get so pissed when someone is on a higher horse denigrating the things I love.

The only question that matters is - do you love it? I celebrate your Bud Light!!

Stephanie Doyle said...

Hello!!!! I watch reality TV. The Bacehlor... worse the Bachelor Pad.

Now granted part of the fun of watching those shoes is the mocking, but I'm still probably missing something intellectually challenging on the History Channel.

Right now I'm obsessed with the Adventures of Lois and Clark re-runs that are playing. Episodes which include a madman building an Ark and trying to flood the world.

Seriously...

So yes - I succumb to bad stuff all the time. However, not with books. I've never read a book I thought was *bad* and really enjoyed it at the same time.

Maybe the closest I came would be the Da Vinci Code. Despite the total lack of character - I was impressed enough with some of the elements that I found it entertaining.

Eileen said...

I have to admit, it also makes me wonder if I really know what's good and what's not. If I can like Bud Light this much, what else do I like that's questionable?

Maureen McGowan said...

I read this from Molly's comment, "I can get on a pretty high horse about what I think is good or not - but then I get so pissed when someone is on a higher horse denigrating the things I love," and shook my head.

That's me too. Perhaps one of the million reasons why Molly and I are friends. a) we do this, b) we realize that we do this. :)

Don't apologize for the Bud Light, Eileen! You love it. Millions of people love it.

For me, I have to go with reality TV too. Ten years ago I would have also listed a certain kind of movie that I always watched even though the critics hated them... But since I've become a writer, I think my tolerance for lousy writing has gone down.

I think that's maybe what it's about. The more you know about the details, the craft, the harder it is to accept things on the low end. In beer or books.

Eileen said...

I think you're right about that. I've had it happen with music, too. Andy knows a lot about music and songwriting and because of that, he listens with a totally different ear than I do. I'm happy if it makes me tap my toes or possibly cry a little. He requires a certain amount of craft and thought.

Anonymous said...

I can get lost in storytelling, even if the actual writing isn't amazing.. but usually amazing storytelling comes hand in hand with the craft... so it's rare I need to think about either.

I watch Bachelor Pad, I have no right to throw stones..

Anonymous said...

I can get lost in storytelling, even if the actual writing isn't amazing.. but usually amazing storytelling comes hand in hand with the craft... so it's rare I need to think about either.

I watch Bachelor Pad, I have no right to throw stones..

Eileen said...

I just realized it could be worse. It could be Miller 64 instead of Bud Light.

smittenkittenorig said...

Bad SyFy channel movies, Seven Deadly Sins (the YA book series & Lifetime Movie. I bought the dvd!) & Ke$ha. And I shan't hang my head in shame. ;)

Eileen said...

Nice! You're right. Let's hold our heads high.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...