Friday, July 06, 2012

Good Will Hunting and character introduction

So I feel a little guilty using Molly's favourite movie as a blog post, but I rewatched it last night and it struck me that it introduces its main character almost perfectly.

I love that the first time we see Will Hunting, he's running into a fight, and unlike his friends, does not know when to stop fighting and to run, and the next time we see him, he's eviscerating a pompous Harvard student with his knowledge of economics.

It's a complete contrast, but works perfectly because Will is so smug about what he knows, but so rough in the way he holds himself, the way he dresses and so obviously in pain underneath the surface. And the movie takes the time to show us all sides of him, so when he does solve the unsolveable equation, we are not surprised.

It goes against a pretty solid rule which is show us character during the progression of the story, but this movie is basically the progression of a character, so they can do this and because he's so unique and so interesting.

I love the way the movie unfolds, but that beginning is so engrossing. He could be an unlikeable character except for his love for his friends and Matt Damon's clear likeability.

Now I'm trying to figure out, should I go see Savages soon? It does have Taylor Kitsch, and it  does look pretty interesting, but reviews are mixed...


4 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I purposefully haven't looked at any reviews for Savages yet. I really, really want it to be good, but am fearful...

Great movies and TV shows can teach us so much about introducing characters. We don't get the advantage of an actor and all he/she can bring but we have the advantage of internal thoughts, so I think it balances out.

What scenes to show first. What traits to show first. Those decisions are the same in a novel, I think.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Agree completely. Good Will Hunting is really nothing but a study in character growth.

So much to learn from that movie.

Eileen said...

I should rematch gwh. Loved it when I first saw it but it's been years. The character reminds me of the poignant and tender things about my first husband who was very smart and had been badly abused as a child.

I am not a big Oliver stone fan so I doubt I'll see savages. He remi ds me of all the arrogant and condescending things about my first husband. :-)

Molly O'Keefe said...

Oh good Will Hunting - so smart, such blunt force storytelling mixed with delicate acrobatic storytelling.

I'm currently wrestling with the introduction scenes of this new book and this is a good reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...