Monday, December 27, 2010

Dear Ben Affleck

I should have written this letter a while ago, but I kept getting distracted by rewatching Good Will Hunting and Shakespeare In Love and to some extent Changing Lanes. And of course - looking at you. You, Ben Affleck, are a good looking guy. Seriously, that chin? And you're aging well. Clearly your wife has steered you in the skin care arena. But all of that is beside the point.

The point is I watched The Town this holiday season. And I think you are an interesting director. I think you have a voice and a simplicity as a Director. And as a writer? What a freaking suprise. You're really good. Honestly, I'm not just talking about that bit in Esquire that I've saved - about why you love motorcycles. I mean you have adapted some great books into really great screenplays. Your movies have "felt different" and considering the genre - that's not easy. Parts of The Town were awesome - casting Jeremy Renner? Awesome. Blake Lively? Who knew? There was a trajectory to the movie and I think you were shooting for something simple admidst chaos - a nice aim.

Here's your problem. You can't act. You might be great in supporting roles, but there's no way you can carry a film. And part of it is your looks. And the other part - you just can't act. And your performance in The Town was good - but it was the weakest link in a good movie - you brought the whole thing down. You ruined your own movie. With the right casting in that role - someone rougher, uglier, someone who needed that love, who could make us believe in the romantic conflict (because Ben, you did not - at all.) Or maybe you didn't show us the scenes you needed too - not sure. You were too movie star. In a gritty gritty movie, you showed up false.

Why did you do it? Why write, direct and act? I still love you Ben. I really do. But sometimes, you make it so hard.

7 comments:

Karen W said...

Molly, I agree. I saw The Town last weekend. I wasn't able to articulate exactly WHY it didn't work for me, until I read your post. Then I'm like - smack up side the head - OF COURSE!!

I hope Ben reads it.

Maureen McGowan said...

I think you've hit it too, Molly. His other directorial effort, Gone Baby Gone, was stronger because he wasn't on the screen. As an actor he was okay for me in a few movies... but he did not seem like a) a bank robber, or b) a guy who would fall so hard that he'd risk everything for that woman....

Maureen McGowan said...

Oh, and the accent... I know he's from that area (albeit Cambridge, not the rough parts of Boston) so I assume he knows the accent well, but I found it distracting.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Poor Ben. But I agree. Let Matt act, and you stick to directing.

And let both of you keep writing!

I didn't watch the Town - I opted for Easy "A" instead. I wanted something mindless. It was actually very cute and very well written.

Eileen said...

Ooh, I can't wait too see The Town. I was already looking forward to it, but now I really am. Anybody seen him in Company Men yet?

Anonymous said...

So looking forward to seeing the Town. I agree, he's a really interesting director and so wooden as an actor..

but he does cast really well, Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm in the same movie..

Anonymous said...

I SAW THE MOVIE THE TOWN IT WAS VERY GOOD. YOU ARE A GREAT ACTOR AND VERY HOT ONE TOO. I HOPE YOU READ THIS. PLEASE WRITE BACK TO ME BEN.
LOVE,DEBBIE

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...