Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why the Emmys suck..

I love, love the timing of this, because the emmy noms came out yesterday and I have a whole lot to say about them.

First, my public service announcement. I don’t watch all the shows that were nominated, but I do read Entertainment weekly and TV guide, so I have a handle on what the critics are saying.

The noms could not have been more boring, or predictable, or in my humble opinion, WRONG.

I don’t have a lot to say about comedy, except perhaps the inclusion of two and half men, which I don’t love, but 30 Rock and the Office are brilliant and I’d like to publicly announce my huge girl crush on Tina Fey, one of the most brilliant comedy writers around.

But DRAMA… Wow, I feel they dropped the ball on a massive scale here.

Where the hell is Friday Night Lights, or Lost? Two shows that were completely riveting this year. How could they ignore the brilliant writing on FNL?
But I can answer this, by bringing up two more shows they have consistently ignored. The Wire, which almost every critic out there raves as being the best show on TV and Battlestar. If season 2 of Battlestar couldn’t get a nom for best drama, there was no chance in hell for season three, not even for those brilliant first four episodes.

4 shows that are so much better than House, Boston Legal, a really uneven season of Grey’s Anatomy, seriously, how they could they nominate these shows instead of the 4 listed above.

And what about acting nods? Where is Kyle Chandler, or Connie Britton, or any of the teens played so terrifically on Friday Night Lights? Where is Michael C. Hall for his outstanding performance on Dexter.
I agree with Hugh Laurie’s nod, but House was really disappointing for me this season, they seem to be building a show on his performance and that’s it.
And what about Battlestar, if Michael Hogan couldn’t get a nod for his unbelievable work as Colonel Tigh this past season, then obviously whoever is voting for the emmys is deaf, blind and dumb.

Phew! It felt good to rant. The rage still hasn’t subsided completely, but I feel better. How does everyone else feel about the emmy noms?

14 comments:

Katelin said...

Granted I don't really watch some of the shows you mentioned, I'm just not a fan of the Emmy's. I think the best part for me was the "Original Music and Lyrics" category where the songs from Scrubs were nominated.

Anyhoo, your blog is pretty funny! Keep it up! :)

Unknown said...

I've only seen season one and two of House, so I can see why he won for those two years. I'll have to reserve comments on season three until Aug 21 when it comes out on DVD.

No Dexter?? What's up with that! And Battlestar will never get a nod, simply because it's sci-fi. Sci-fi is to TV, what romance is to fiction: not enough respect.

Michael Hogan totally rocked at Ty.

Maureen McGowan said...

I haven't seen the list yet. Damn it.

But no Michael C. Hall is crazy.

Maureen McGowan said...

The lead actor in a drama really missing for me, is Eddie Izzard in the Riches. I'm just watching that right now and he's freakin' amazing. Especially compared to his stand up comedian persona which, well, wears a dress. As Wayne Malloy/Doug Rich he is astoundingly good.

And did Kiefer Sutherland really need another nomination??? James Spader? (not that I watch Boston Legal.)

Molly O'Keefe said...

I feel like the emmy's are sort of like the people's choice now. they are supposed to reward outstanding television and instead it rewards the middle of the road pablam. How does Micheal C. Hall not get recognized -- how did he not get nominated for that amazing episode of 6 feet under for that carjacked episode.

House has lost it's luster and Lost has regained its -- too bad theyw eren't recognized. And the OFFICE?????

As a true lover of Friday Night Lights I'm so with you. However that said - So You think You Can Dance got two noms. That's good. But you're right - the emmy's this year just aren't worth watching.

Anonymous said...

It just seems like the emmys reward middle of the road, unchallenging TV, almost all the time, and Christine, you're right Battle star being both Sci Fi and on a specialty channel will never gain any emmy respect.

I've heard about the scrubs episode, but haven't seen it, but will definitely keep an eye out for it.

MJFredrick said...

I agree Grey's didn't deserve it. BSG was terrific. I agree Kiefer doesn't need another one, but I love The Office, and thought Jenna Fisher deserved her nomination.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the office and Jenna Fischer, but where was John Krasinski?
you can't win everything, overall I was really happy with the comedy emmys..

But seriously, BSG.. where are the noms?

Molly O'Keefe said...

Yeah - John Krasinski is pretty much the heart of that show -- he should have had a nod too. And Alec Baldwin was he up for best supporting? He's the funniest thing on a very funny show.

Amy Ruttan said...

The Office is brilliant, absolutely brilliant, and I suck because those are the only shows I've seen that have been nominated.

Kids control my TV lately, I'm perpetually on Treehouse, and I doubt Dora or the Backyardigans were nominated.

Torchwood is too British to be nominated, I don't think it's been released here yet either, that show should be nominated for something.

Ok, enough of my rambling because other than the Office I have no idea and that sucks. ;)

Anonymous said...

Amy, I hear your pain. I now hum the theme song for Dora constantly without even realizing it, and if I have to watch Max and Ruby one more time, I may lobotomize myself

Amy Ruttan said...

For me it's Toopy and Binoo. I swear if given the chance I might take a cork screw to my eyes. Ack.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate them too... is it sad to say I have a strange affection for Wonderpets.. and Elmo.

Amy Ruttan said...

No Wonderpets are cute. I can stand them. LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...