Monday, July 15, 2013

The Problem with Epiphanies

Over the weekend, I had three fairly significant epiphanies about various works in progress. One small light bulb moment and two major floodlight moments. I was a little bummed when I realized the three scenes I'd written really should be one scene with a bunch of the other stuff cut and a little woven in as backstory. The two floodlight moments, though? Those felt good.

The problem was that I really didn't have time right then to do anything about them. We were down in Santa Cruz for the weekend. Which, is in itself, not a problem. Santa Cruz is gorgeous.


Plus, I was having fun hanging out with the kids.


But I didn't have time to do anything about the epiphanies. That is frustrating.

No problem, you say? Monday is just around the corner? Well, yes, it was. Problem was Monday was full of all kinds of things that needed doing especially since this was the second weekend in a row that I'd been away from home. I did a little work, but not nearly enough to honor the force of a triple epiphany.

I know the epiphanies will still be there tomorrow and Wednesday and beyond when I'll have more time to write them, but I'm worried that they'll lose their luster by the time I get to them.

5 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

If they were true epiphanies they'll still be in your head when you get to them. :) Of course, I don't trust my brain all the time, so I write that sh down. :)

Yay for epiphanies!

Stephanie Doyle said...

I agree. Yay for epiphanies. I had one with my WIP. Happened in the car driving home and I was like...

Oh my God!!!! They're brothers!!!!

Sometimes I freaking love this job.

Eileen said...

Thanks, guys, but SHOULDN'T YOU BE PACKING? It's Tuesday, for pity's sake! You should be trying to squeeze one more cocktail dress into your luggage for RWA!!!!!!

Stephanie Doyle said...

All outfits are laid out waiting to go into the suitcase! There will be some very very difficult shoe choices at my house tonight.

I've been telling people all day, my day job hat is already lifting off my head to put my writing hat on :)

Eileen said...

One year, I rolled up all my panties and stuffed them in my shoes to buy a little space. It might get you one more shoe into the case.

You're welcome. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...