Ok, so Stephanie threw down a bit of a gauntlet yesterday with that whole Beaches fiasco. Sure the power of friendship and love and blah, blah, but really, if we were to think this through, there are other, better movies. Movies like Alien and Aliens, but for the purpose of the Beaches comparison, I'm going with the Terminator.
So here's my list
1) It is really suspenseful. Watching Linda Hamilton fight off a seemingly unkillable machine kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire movie.
2) It teaches us to be really careful about the technology we develop - killer robots seem like a bad idea.
3) It has a really touching love story. Reese was a lovely hero, respectful, resourceful and well - doomed - but while he lived, a great hero.
4) It's the best use of Arnold Schwarzenegger's acting skills ever - he plays killer robot really well
5) Great character arc of innocent, somewhat regular girl into strong, resourceful action heroine
6) Really interesting backstory woven into the current story - except the backstory is the future... let that one twist your mind for a while
7) Time travel told simply and well
8) It you take away the hairstyles and clothes, it doesn't look dated, which is pretty amazing
So there you go. I'm putting forward Terminator as a better movie than Beaches, because well beaches are great, but killer robots are better.