Friday, December 07, 2012

My new favourite movie

This year is an embarrassment of riches where movies are concerned. We had some great, fun summer movies, The Avengers and Cabin in the Woods are the first that come to mind, then a fantastic Bond movie, a great Batman movie, and soon, so soon, Les Miserables.

I'm not a huge musical theatre fan, but I'm a massive Les Mis fan, and when they released the trailer of Anne Hathaway singing Dream a little Dream, well, it became my favourite movie of the year, right then.

I'm going to adore Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, and Hathaway apparently is amazing and my favourite character has always been Eponine. Who doesn't love noble, unrequited love?

I'm in, and waiting impatiently for the release Christmas Day, and at the same time, also looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty, and I still have to see Argo. So many movies to see, and add Life of Pi to the list.

It's like summer all over again, except with darker, more serious movies.

What I'm missing are some books to get excited about. I would love to be anxiously awaiting the release of something great. I kind of wish book releases got the same treatment as movies. I know book trailers are important, but they're not the same medium and they don't go viral in the same way. There are some book review sites I check all the time, like Dear Author and All About Romance, but nothing that really creates a real excitement for a great book.

Anyone got any recommendations? Anything coming up you're really excited to read?

10 comments:

Kwana said...

I too am looking forward to Les Mis. Can't wait. I get chills every time the commercial comes on.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Me too!!! I've seen the play I don't know how many times. Bawl every time... I'm sure the movie will be no different.

When I heard the "la, la, la" of the comercial the first time chills ran up my spine. I was like where do I know that... omg Anne Hathaway tragically dying.... I already lost it.

My favorite is Eponine too. My least favorite is Cosette - we'll have to see what Amanda does with her.

Don't you fret... Ms. Marius... I don't feel any pain... (I mean seriously I will be crying buckets.)

Eileen said...

True confession time here. I have never seen Les Miserables. I tried to watch the one with Uma Thurman, but it was so dark and so bleak and so sad, I had to turn it off. You're all telling me I should persevere? I don't mind crying buckets, but I don't want it to send me into therapy (I'm talking to you, Miss Saigon).

Anonymous said...

Eileen, I was so disappointed with Miss Saigon, but Les Mis is dark, and sad and uplifting and the music is gorgeous... gorgeous...

Steph, I love that part... Eponine in the rain... it makes me cry too... and always hated Cossette, and probably will this time too... so I can love Eponine a little more

Stephanie Doyle said...

I'm going to say Eileen - even without having seen it yet - you're going to want to see this.

If you can handle the fact that well... they are miserable... it's a great character study too.

Javert (Russel Crowe) is evil, but he's also justice.

Jean Val Jean (Hugh Jackman) is good and noble, but also a little ruthless.

It's why everyone connects with someone. So while it will crush you I think you'll love it.

And it sort of ends... happy. If the movie sticks with the play.

Maureen McGowan said...

I'm looking forward to that too. And I loved Miss Saigon. :)

But I saw Miss Saigon in the early days in London with the original cast (pretty sure*) and went in not knowing anything about it and it blew my little mind. (I was on a business trip, my very first time in London... and that might have affected my experience.) I cried buckets. I think I was crying the second the curtain went up.

*Okay, might not have been original cast. According to wikipedia the show opened in London September 1989 and I think I saw it in late 1990 or early 1991... It opened on Broadway later in 1991, so some of the original stars might have moved to NYC by the time I saw it... (Must find the programme. Yes, I am a pack rat and keep those things.)

Maureen McGowan said...

But sorry, Sinead... I don't have any books I'm dying to have come out right now. I do have several on my TBR pile I want to read but am waiting to finish my ms first. They are by authors I don't want to be comparing myself to as I work on this fracking book that won't finish its damn self!

Molly O'Keefe said...

like summer with darker more serious movies - SO WITH YOU! Can't wait for Les Mis - Adam will never go see it so I'm going to need a date - anyone?

Oh, don't get me started on Ms. Saigon. Don't Doubt Me Ellen!!

Stephanie Doyle said...


For books I have a recommend. I was going to blog about it about but we're not really a review site.

It's a novella. Turning up the Heath by Laura Florand - who I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about in romance.

Because her stories are set in France they've got her in trade. But truly they are just really well done contemporary romances.

Turning Up the Heat she self-published (excellent quality) to introduce her self at a lower price point.

When I say BRILLIANT - doesn't even come close to describing it.

This is a husband and wife re-vitalization story that just is so amazing I had a hard time reading it because I kept stopping and saying... wow this is so amazing.

Eileen said...

Okay. Miss Saigon made me cry so hard that people were turning around and staring at me in the theater. I finally stopped crying and we went to the car which was in a parking garage where THEY WERE PIPING IN MISS SAIGON MUSIC! Which started me up again. I basically cried for about 3 weeks and I still can't really talk about it. There is seriously not enough Prozac on the planet to get me through another musical like that one.

Had similar experiences with Ordinary People (the movie, although the book was also devastating) and All the Little Live Things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...