Friday, December 14, 2012

Genre Mashups

I just finished Kristin Callihan's Firelight, a really great read, and a fantastic mash up of historical romance, paranormal and mystery. It reminded me a little of Meljean Brook and her steam punk romances.

More and more I'm leaning towards the genre mash up. I love the combination of elements and it's been missing from my reading list for a while. I go back to some of my earliest adult reading experiences and the Sydney Sheldon books I read over and over which combined adventure and sex and exotic locations, or Judith Krantz which was so over the top and completely enjoyable because they were so over written.

I love YA books, but I want to read about adults again, in dangerous situations, with great romance and fascinating characters.

That's what I'm looking for in the year ahead. More genre mashups, because they have been some of my favourite reading experiences this past year. Maybe if I'm lucky Brook will release another steam punk this year, and I'd love to find another great urban fantasy series, so any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Anything on your reading wish lists? What was the highlight of your 2012 reading year?

2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I really loved those old Sydney Sheldon's and Judith Krantz books and there really hasn't been anything new on the market like that in a long time. Danielle Steele still publishes, but hers never quite cut it for me.It was like those other authors toned down. And Jackie Collins does, I think... But hers were never my favs either.
I wonder what killed those books... the AIDS and Herpes epidemics? The "glamour" going out of drug culture? I don't know. Maybe they were just replaced by the internet and the 24 hour celebrity news cycle.

Molly O'Keefe said...

I just finished this too - and it lost me a little at the end - but the set up of the world, the paranormal elements interwoven with the historical-- awesome. I understand why there isn't more - it's a damn damn hard thing to do. But I'm with you, more Kristin Callihan stuff - more of the impossible...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...