Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Eric the Vampire in Person!

Steph will be seething with jealousy. I am going to see Alexander Skarsgård in person next Tuesday night at the screening of his new film Disconnect.



I honestly barely read the description of the film before I picked it. (They had me at Skarsgård.) But now that I have, it does sound interesting with a similar storytelling style to Magnolia, Babel or Crash. Excited!

With the aid of a first-rate cast — including Jason Bateman, Hope Davis, Paula Patton (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol) and Alexander Skarsgård (Melancholia) — director Henry Alex Rubin (Murderball) explores the impact of the internet on our daily lives through a series of gripping, cunningly interwoven parallel narratives.

I'm seeing fewer films this year and not the ones that already have Oscar buzz, but still, I think I have an interesting lineup.

Another one I'm excited about and didn't read the description until after I picked it is Byzantium.


A pair of female vampires (Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton) wreaks havoc on an unsuspecting English seaside community in this deliciously depraved supernatural drama from Academy Award® winner Neil Jordan.
I'm not sure how I missed that it was a vampire movie when I was first skimming the description! This wasn't the photo in the programme book and I honestly thought it was going to be a dour story about working class English people. Not sure why I got that idea.

I'm slightly frightened about another one of my picks... It's called Painless and it's a Spanish film about kids who are experimented on because they can't feel pain.

In this fascinating allegorical horror-thriller, a brilliant young neurosurgeon emerges miraculously unharmed from a devastating car crash — only to discover a dark secret about his origins that stretches back to a series of bizarre experiments conducted at the dawn of the Spanish Civil War.
Creepy, right?

I'll try to blog next week, maybe with pictures of Stephanie's boyfriend!

7 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

Oh My God. Jealous isn't a powerful enough word for what I am.


Just that picture of him in the rain....

Tell him I love him. And ask him to take off his shirt before you take a picture. :)

Marcy said...

OMG! Eric is going to be in Toronto??? I'm in the Niagara Region. Perhaps a stalking trip is in order. But since I probably won't, please take LOTS of pictures and share with the poor saps who'll be living vicariously through you.

Maureen McGowan said...

This is one that I plan to line up for early to get choice seat. But I don't imagine I'll be the only one who does that...

A line ups. What TIFF is really about.

Maureen McGowan said...

I meant: Ah, line ups.

My keyboard is getting touchy. Mamma needs a new macbook.

Sinead M said...

So jealous too and even though I love Eric, the one I'm the most jealous about it Byzantium...

Molly O'Keefe said...

oh my god - those sound awesome! I like the spanish civil war one.

I think you should do a tiff in pictures post...

Eileen said...

I'm jealous that you get to go to TIFF at all, much less sit in the front row with a shirtless Skaarsgard. Can't wait to hear what you think about the films!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...