Monday, April 04, 2011

Molly's Perfect Day

1. I like being a little hungover
2. I have a slightly embarrassing but totally absorbing love for the JR Ward books
3. I have kids

If you answered false to two or more of those questions, my day of bliss may not resonate with you, but I'll tell you about it anyway. I might use more numbers. In fact On Friday:

1. I sent rewrites of one book to my editor
2. I sent the finished second book to my critique group

And if that wasn't reason enough to celebrate, Maureen's family was throwing her a suprise celebration for her launch day. At an Irish Pub. Clearly, I was going to be a mess on Friday night. To make it all better my husband agreed to take my kids up to my in laws on Saturday morning, leaving me and my hangover all alone. All day. AND the new JR Ward book came out just a few days before.

Thursday afternoon I went through a ridiculous search and destory mission trying to find the Ward book, dragging my kids in and out of the truck, through Wal-Mart's and Costco's. Grocery Stores and drug stores. No luck. My day of bliss of was in serious jeopardy. But then when I met up with Maureen for our pre-drinks drinks - she told me she had the new one at her house. And I could have it! Saved. I just had to carry this hardcover book around, to a party. No problem.

Drinking ensued. Sinead got rowdy. Which is how we like her. Maureen got weepy. We like her like that. Good night.

Next morning, got the kids out the door, laid down in bed with my roaring hangover and read for five hours. This used to be my way of life before kids and returning to it for one day, with a book that was partly GREAT and partly meh, but TOTALLY READABLE...perfect.

Then I watched Brothers (Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhall... such a painful movie but so good, all the way around, writing, directing, performances - also pretty perfect) and ARN, the swedish epic about the Knight Templar who helped create Sweden...or something. I was distracted by the guy's eyes for most of the movie. And then I started the last Kinsale book which I hadn't gotten around to. All in all...I don't think it could have been better.

How about you? When was your last perfect day? Did it look anything like mine?

5 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

Wow - that is an awesome day! Just that sense of having everything off your plate. It's like total guilt free reading.

But you forgot to mention pork roll... did I mention also awesome for hangovers.

Maureen McGowan said...

My hangover day was pretty awesome, too. My sister and twelve-year-old niece came to town for said surprise party. We went to the AGO, had tea, went to see I am Number Four (where my niece giggled at Alex Pettyfer's bare chest) and then for some Asian food. All in all, pretty awesome.

Plus, I discovered my books were on a table in a store!!!!

Photos on my blog. www.maureenmcgowan.blogspot.com

Eileen said...

Mmmm.Nice day. Mainly I'm jealous at you getting to see Maureen weepy and Sinead rowdy.

Anonymous said...

My hangover day consisted of trying to parent my kids with a raging headache and a desperate need for more sleep...

Not nearly as good. I was ragingly jealous about your day.

Stephanie, those pork rolls are haunting my dreams.

Simone St. James said...

That sounds awesome!

When people give me that puzzled look and say, "Why don't you have kids?" your day is pretty much my answer :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...