Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Clueless

Wow. Molly can pick the tough topics. And she's thought about this a lot more than I have. Truth is, I'm not sure quite yet what kind of writer I want to be.

But this is well-timed. In a few weeks I'll be reaching, once again, that scary/exciting point--that point where I start a new project; therefore, new-project-thoughts and anxieties (not to mention project completion thoughts and anxieties) have been buzzing around in my head. Molly's what-kind-of-writer-do-you-want-to-be topic gets right to the heart of the issue...

Sadly, I don't have a fabulously well-thought-out answer, (and haven't picked my next project), but a few things I do know... (for today, anyway... not sure about tomorrow...)

I want to write books that are easy and fast and fun to read. By that I mean, I want my books to be about the story, about taking the reader on a journey with the characters--not about writing poetry or prose in a style that's complicated for complicated's sake. That said, I don't want to spoon feed readers. I don't want to over explain things. I don't want to insult my readers' intelligence. I want to write fast, fun reads for smart readers.

I want to write books about women going through change. Women who are forced to face something ugly about themselves and choose to change it. Almost all of my completed and in-progress projects have this underlying theme... and I think it's working for me.

I want to write books about real issues, plausible problems--in a larger-than-real-life kind of way. (It is fiction, after all.)

I want to write books that have unexpected twists--not in the big mystery/suspense/thriller kind of way, but in terms of unexpected details being revealed about a character or their past, or characters acting in unexpected ways. I don't want to be predictable or boring.

I want to write books that make readers smile. I'm not going for big belly laugh comedy. I just hope what my characters do, think and say, or how they do, think and say it, will get the occasional grin.

I want to write books that give readers an in depth look into the mind and life of another person--what they're thinking, how they sort through the problems their faced with. I'm analytical. Most of my characters are, too, and I like to show that side of them.

Wow. My answer isn't as clear or focused as Molly's, and I expect I've actually answered a slightly different question... I haven't fit myself into a "type" at all... So be it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a bit behind with reading everyone's blogs the last few days. I just read these two posts on what type of writer are you.

Wow.

I second that Molly, you're not a bum! I'm also not sure what type of writer I am yet. I like to tell stories that interest me. These are usually ideas that have been bouncing around in my head and won't go away. Reoccuring dreams and the like. I want people to read my stories and forget everything that is causing them grief that particular day/week/minute. If I can do that, then I'd be very happy.

Anonymous said...

Seemed to me you had a well thought out answer, and I see all the points mentioned in your books.

I agree with Christine, we're all trying to write entertaining books first and foremost.

Anonymous said...

Margaret Moore addressed this in her Goose Your Muse seminar. She pointed out that in order to make it through the tough times, we need to know why we are writing.

Me, I've got an easy answer. I want to teach women more about business in an entertaining way. I also want to address the big business/career challenges that many of us go through. For example, in my "first" novel, my heroine gets (basically) fired. Having been laid off myself, I realize that it is similar to experiencing a death in the family so I have the heroine going through that emotional journey.

My definition of a good book is that it makes me either laugh or cry (an emotional release). I attempt to do either one or the other.

Really looking forward to reading your novels Maureen. And remember me if you ever need help marketing them (am I a bad writer for enjoying the marketing part as much as the writing part?).

Anonymous said...

These are EXCELLENT posts, you guys! I'm not ready to answer, I want to think on this. Great posts!I'm linking to these on Sunday's News Flash on the Ball...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...