Thursday, August 01, 2013

Warm Bodies reminds me of when movies were original


So I finally saw Warm Bodies. I’m pretty sure this was a Sinead recommend? Anyway I wasn’t sure I could get behind the premise, but I decided to stop thinking about it and just watch it.

I can’t tell you one movie I can compare this to. Now maybe there are scores and scores of romantic/funny/suspenseful zombie movies out there, and I just don’t know about them. But it was so refreshing to have no expectations of a movie and just sit and watch it and really have no idea where it was going.

It was quirky and funny and it didn’t involve Star Trek, an Avenger, Superman, Spiderman or Batman.

Now don’t get me wrong. I do love my Star Trek/Avenger/Superman/Spiderman/Batman movies. Some of them. But to see something different and outside of the box was really fun.

We talk a lot about the book business here and how it’s changing. Well the film industry is apparently going through some kind of flux as well. Big studios only want to make sure fire hits but there are only so many superhero redos and sequels you can make. Apparently Steven Spielberg had a tough time getting Lincoln in theaters and it was almost an HBO special. Spielberg!

So some are predicting a mass collapse if any one studio produces multiple bombs in a row… (Not going to mention any names cough*TheLoneRange* cough!)
Then there is the flipside with Kickstarter. Where people can raise money independently and make the audience feel as if they are part of making the movie. Genius!

And I’m going to get to see Veronica Mars The Movie – TOTAL AWESOMENESS – and I really hope that it works. Because I love the idea of getting more variety, more movie makers and more original stories out there.

Oh and don’t get me started as to why they could make the Green Lantern and Superman three different times but STILL there is no Wonder Woman movie!
Come on! Who doesn't want WW back?

5 comments:

Stephanie C. said...

I was surprised by how good this movie was too. I found myself laughing throughout the whole thing. Though, calling it "origional" when it was based off a book doesn't exactly ring true to me. Lol

Eileen said...

I didn't even realize it was a book! I thought it was just a movie retelling of Romeo and Juliet where instead of dying at the end, they bring Romeo back to life. Clever. Sweet. Fun.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Okay - so it was a book which I didn't know and derivative of Shakespeare... maybe not so original then hmm.. :)

I caught the "R" and Julia thing - too and thought that it was cleverly done.

Anonymous said...

I loved it too, Steph. So cute, funny, warm, and the lead was amazing..
It reminded me a little of Shawn of the Dead, which ranks up there as one of the best zombie flicks for me.

Eileen said...

I think it was original, Steph. The writer took the idea of Romeo and Juliet (the star-crossed lovers), set it in a dystopian future with Zombies and completely made it his own.

It wasn't a beat by beat retelling. It was more taking a theme and running with it. I just liked the references to Romeo and Juliet. I thought it made it more fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...