Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Game of Thrones

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

Okay. You're forewarned. I wanna talk about this season and I don't want to hold back. If you don't want to know what's happening now, click away. I'll give you a second.

Is it just us chickens, now? Good.

I did not watch the first two seasons. I'd read the books and after watching a couple of episodes I realized I wasn't going to see anything I hadn't already read. I haven't read the third book, though, so I've been watching Season Three.

I'm still completely blown away by the world building and the complexity of the plot. The acting is amazing. The sets. The costumes. Everything. It's amazing.

So here's my pickle. I can not stand the torture thing with Theon. It's too upsetting. It's too gross. It's too horrific. Plus it's so well done that I can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about what it would be like to be in such pain all the time and to not even be able to die to get release and to not even know why the person was doing it to me except that the person is a sadistic monster. I went on some wiki thing to see if it would end soon, but found that it runs through the rest of the books that have been written. Plus there's an interview with GoT co-creator David Benioff and he says he LOVES torturing Theon which I'm pretty sure means he's not going to stop.

I don't think I can stand it. I'm thinking about not watching anymore because it's too upsetting.

Are you watching? How do you feel about it? Has any subplot ever upset you enough that you stopped watching a show?

5 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

I find it horrific also, as much because it isn't in the books--the after-effects of the torture are, since we see Theon later on, but there's no Theon POV where he endures the torture. It does feel gratuitous, and a misstep on the part of the showrunners to show it in such graphic detail, but if it were in the books, I think it'd be just as horrific as it's portrayed on screen.
Not that all of that makes sense--but yes, it's appalling.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I hate it too. The last one was just ... so awful. But I've sort of just come to except the harsh world it is.

I thought the language used in the sceen with Kalissi (I use that because I think it's easier to spell than Denaryius?) was really shocking. But in truth that's probably how those men would deal and think of her. (She was awesome in that scene btw).

So if I have to leave the room for a minutes and listen to Theon rather than watch that's fine. He was an awful character... with little to redeem him... but even I think they've gone too far.

Eileen said...

It's good to know I'm not alone on the Theon thing. I'm not quite sure who thinks that's enjoyable viewing.

The scene with the Khaleesi last night actually made me laugh a little because I had just turned to Andy and said that I hoped they killed that guy first when Daenerys said basically the same thing.

Simone St. James said...

What Megan said. In the books Theon disappears for like 2000 pages and when you see him it's the aftermath. And it's so, so awful that Martin doesn't have to give you a single scene from Theon's POV. It's a huge (and rare) misstep in the show, especially when they added in the sexual abuse.

They've made lots of other changes from the books, but I've approved of most of them, because they've telescoped timelines and deleted some of Martin's dead word weight.

Anonymous said...

It is horrific, but I keep thinking about those two orphaned kids he killed and then strung up and that seems to make it better.. at least more permissible then a noble or sweet character like Jon Snow or Sam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...