Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Not a Thought in My Pretty Little Head

I've got nothing. I don't know why. I just don't. I've read a bunch of good books lately. I'm reading John Lescroat's The Hunter right now. It's awesome. Smart. Emotional. I wish I could do setting like he does. I read Catriona MacPherson's After the Armistice Ball. Also great atmosphere. Great dialogue. Oh, and Harlan Coben's Caught. Love his dialogue and pace.

I don't think I have anything to say about any of them, though, except I liked them.

On TV, I'm thrilled with the continuation of The Good Wife. I love the palace intrigue of the law office and the cases they work on. Incredible characters. Great conflicts. Don't have anything to say about it, though. I'm not so sure I like House of Lies. I've only watched the first one and maybe the people will become less reprehensible, but I think not. I'll give it one or two more episodes, but I don't have anything to say about it either.

I watched a funny little indie movie called happythankyoumoreplease. A little sweet. A little charming. But I got nothin'.

I'm writing. It's going fine one some days. Not so fine on others. I need more time without interruptions. I need to be stricter with myself and my friends and my family. That's all I have to say about that, though.

Help me, please. Get me started. Somebody say something.

9 comments:

Stephanie Doyle said...

I'm with you Eileen. I feel like I've got nothing. I took yesterday off to get a ton of writing done and basically spent an hour staring at the screen thinking in my head... what happens next?

And I don't have any TBR books. Nada. I keep hoping my RITA box arrives otherwise I'm just going to start downloading stuff I know nothing about. Which could be a good thing or could make angry I spent 7.99 on a book I don't like.

I chalk it up to January. January is my least favorite month of the year.

Eileen said...

I usually don't get January blahs. I'm generally so thrilled that the holidays are finally over that I'm practically skipping through the month.

Maybe it's because I didn't get horribly depressed this year . . .

Maureen McGowan said...

You'll get your mojo back, Eileen! Meanwhile, read The Scorpio Races. Awesome.

Maureen McGowan said...

Although books like The Scorpio Races sometimes depress me as a writer because they make me feel unworthy. When I read stiefvater's Shiver, I thought, okay, I could do that. And here are a few things I'd have done differently. But Scorpio Races? Masterpiece. I know I'm not worthy. :)

Eileen said...

It's going on the list. I know what you mean about books that make you want to close your laptop, though. I read a rough draft - A ROUGH DRAFT - of a book my friend Spring Warren is writing and damn near quit writing. It was that good.

Anonymous said...

There are some books that really inspire and make me think and help to improve my writing and some books that I know are so beyond my capabilities, and the Scorpio races was the same for me..

But an amazing read...

Maureen McGowan said...

Yes, Scorpio Races was so good that it pushed thoughts of jealousy or inadequacy out of my head as I read it. :)

I just have to admit that I'm a way more commercial writer than she is and that's fine. :) It'll be my daily affirmation. ;)

Anonymous said...

I've read a few books lately that said to me, well, you may as well walk away from the keyboard cuz you'll never write anything like that - lol! But I can't even remember the titles to mention them by name. Still trying to adjust to the big move.

Molly O'Keefe said...

UGH! I couldn't agree more - my brain is empty. Totally empty. I think it's because I stopped drinking...I will quickly put an end to that nonsense!!

I am suprised by the slump that is Jan. much like the slump that is August. I don't know why I'm always suprised, I should just figure it out by now. But no.

I'm liking House of Lies - a little too slick, but giving that man a cross dressing son? I'll watch for a while...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...