Tuesday, February 07, 2012

CAGE MATCH: Grimm vs. Once Upon a Time

Somehow there ended up being two fairy tale shows that started this fall, Grimm and Once Upon a Time. It happens. I guess there are two Snow White movies coming out and there was that time with the two volcano movies and that other time with the two asteroid movies. Oh, and remember when Chicago Hope and ER started in the same season?

We figured we'd watch a few episodes of both of them, figure out which one we liked better and dump the other one. We're still watching both. I think we prefer Grimm since we stay caught up on that one more often, but nobody's suggesting dumping OUAT from our DVR lineup.

Grimm is the grittier of the two shows. The main character is a police officer who finds out that he is a Grimm, which is some kind of fairytale creature hunter. We still don't know about the details of that. We also don't know if this police captain (or chief or whatever he is) is evil, not evil or what. We really like the Big Bad Wolf who is trying to lead a more peaceful life by doing Pilates, but it's definitely the creature of the week and a lot of blood and gore. I don't recognize many of the fairytale creatures and they use funny names for them, but yet I'm still watching each week.

OUAT is a gentler show. There hasn't been much blood and gore although the psychological manipulations of the Evil Queen are really dastardly. They're doing a better job of moving the overall story arc along along with the weekly episodes. There's more emotional pull, too, with a woman reconnecting with the child she gave up for adoption. Yet, it's the one that we're more likely to let sit on the DVR.

I was talking to a friend who is also watching both. She's getting frustrated with the lack of answers in the overall story arc of Grimm and is irritated with the length of the eyelashes on the women of OUAT. Personally, I just want them to let Ginnifer Goodwin's hair grow a little.

Anyone else watching both these shows? Any preferences?

11 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

I haven't seen either - Grimm looks like the more interesting of the two though I do like Ginnifer Godwin.

I thought I was really being noble by not watching tvbut I've ruined it by watching like four hours of The Voice...

Karen Whiddon said...

I'm watching both and Grimm is more interesting. I like how they end every episode with a bit of a mini-cliffhanger, like the police chief getting a package from the Reapers and how they keep saying the Reapers aren't happy when you mess with fate.

Once upon a Time is interesting, but nothing much happens. It's more of a character study. Yet, I still enjoy it.

Of the two, I prefer Grimm

Eileen said...

Ooh, giving up TV, Molly? That's a hard one. It seems like it would be like giving up coffee. it can be done, but life might be a little less sparkly.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I love OUAT. In fact will watch it at 8:00 on Sunday's with commercials which I never do. (I DVR everything and start a 1/2 hour late)

Grimm - I tried once - and liked it... just haven't seem to get back to it. I think it's on Friday's and Friday is usually movie night for me.

For me I just love the backstories and how they intertwine and then really seeing psychology behind who these "fairy" tale characters were.

But I do think it's funny all of the sudden the entertainment industry decides... You know who will be hot in 2012? Snow White. Let's all get behind her.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I love OUAT. In fact will watch it at 8:00 on Sunday's with commercials which I never do. (I DVR everything and start a 1/2 hour late)

Grimm - I tried once - and liked it... just haven't seem to get back to it. I think it's on Friday's and Friday is usually movie night for me.

For me I just love the backstories and how they intertwine and then really seeing psychology behind who these "fairy" tale characters were.

But I do think it's funny all of the sudden the entertainment industry decides... You know who will be hot in 2012? Snow White. Let's all get behind her.

Eileen said...

Steph, I'm not sure there's anything I like well enough to watch with commercials! That's love!

Maureen McGowan said...

Given my obvious penchant for adapting fairy tales, I thought I'd be all over both of those shows, but have only ever seen one episode of each. I like the idea of Grimm more, I think, but I think I got turned off by a few reviewers who described it as too much of a standard police procedural with a twist. And you know I'm not a big fan of those...
I think those shows are ones I might try in re-runs.

Eileen said...

That's actually not a bad description of Grimm. It is very "crime of the week."

Anonymous said...

I've watched a little of Grimm and it is procedural, but with the supernatural element. It reminds me of Supernatural, which did it better, up until this season..

Once upon a time looks interesting, but I haven't gotten there yet

Chevy Stevens said...

I started off really excited, but I've been falling out of love with both of them. OUAT is starting to make me angry with all the plot holes and the fact that she doesn't seem to wonder how about how weird the place is. Like she's the sheriff and she doesn't think that's strange? Grimm, is a little better, but there are also some gaping plot problems. Like, why do they seem to be the only two detectives who get all these cases?

And I also want Ginnifer's hair to grow.

Eileen said...

OMG, Chevy! It never occurred to me that they seem to be the only homicide detectives in all of Portland. LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...