Friday, June 25, 2010

Reading, reading and more reading

I have been on a reading glut, a glorious, indulgent time of book bliss. After reading four books in the span of a week, I feel rejuvenated, even a little creatively energized.

And I owe big thanks to Molly and Maureen, because some of the books belonged to them, and were loaned, even though Molly hadn’t read most of them yet.

The first book was the new Sherry Thomas. I loved this book, what she does really well, interesting, non-cliché historical characters interacting in non-cliché ways, she did really well. That none of the external plot points held together, should have bothered me. The lack of logic in anything other than the relationship between the couple should have lessened my enjoyment of the book, but it didn’t. She is a rare writer where her strengths really over shine her weaknesses.

The second book was The Dead Tossed Waves. Another great YA book. And anyone who read the first book and loved it, will love this. And all the weaknesses I found in the first, I found here, but also didn’t care. I read this in a matter of hours and was completely absorbed in the story. Not that I was completely satisfied when I finished the story, but she has a way of making me turn the pages compulsively and I’ll forgive a writer a lot when they can do that.

The third book was Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews (thanks for the recommendation, Eileen) And this, this was great urban fantasy. It’s a book where the world building is superb, and it builds and builds into an ending that is really satisfying.

And then, lastly, the new Joanna Bourne. I want to love this book. Technically it’s the best written of the four, the heroine is brave, inventive, intelligent and historically accurate, as is the hero. They are in real peril, the plot is inventive. The historical details are wonderful, and completely relevant, and I feel like a bad person that I’m not rushing to turn the pages. She is getting amazing reviews for this book, and I understand why. I have no idea why I can’t love this book. (I need Molly to read it, to tell me why)

All in all, a pretty fantastic week. And True Blood is back, Mad Men is coming on soon. I am a happy person.

8 comments:

Molly O'Keefe said...

That sounds like a very excellent reading week - I can't wait to get those books.

True Blood!!! Holy cats - is it ever good this season. Bill Compton got his balls back, Eric the Vampire is RIVETING! Of course he was SS. Of course he was. Layfayette - oh, please let me create a character as fun and interesting as that character. Please! I'm loving the show right now.

Anonymous said...

I am LOVING true blood this season. It's a perfect example of a show knowing exactly who they are and mining every bit of entertainment from that fact..

Eileen said...

Ooh. I'm having True Blood envy. Maybe someday I'll be able to watch it. It's just impossible with teenaged boys in the house.

I love the reading orgy, too. Isn't it great when you find a bunch of books in a row that you can disappear into?

Maureen McGowan said...

I really loved Dead Tossed Waves. Even more than Forest of Hands and Teeth, I think. She had me at that scene on the merry-go-round at the beginning and it never let up.
Although there was one thing that sort of bothered me and I think affected my overall enjoyment, because I kept thinking about it too much... Can't wait to discuss. Too spoilerish for public.

Stephanie Doyle said...

Love True Blood this season as well... uh hellooooo Eric got naked in the first show. Bam!

I am on way today after work to buy the new Bourne.

I met her last year at Nationals and I am in awe of her. So I really hope I love this books.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I really hope you love the book as well. It deserves to be loved. Even the language she uses is inventive, and her setting seems so true, and this book is so beautifully crafted.

It's not the book, it's me. Maybe I've been reading too much YA..

I was on a plane, and sad to say, I even put it aside to, God help me, watch that crap Valentines day movie...

There is something seriously wrong with me....

Maureen McGowan said...

Nothing wrong with you, Sinead. But something seriously wrong with that Valentines Day movie. Not sure why it angered me so much. I guess that it was trying so hard to be like Love Actually, but mostly sucked.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I actually squeaked at Johanna. We were on line for a research workshop and she's asking me what I write... and I'm like historicals. I'm shopping one around. It's about mute witch, 1698, blah blah..

I look at her name tag and I'm like OMG - I've been talking about my lame ass mute witch book with JB who is now like a major name in historical romance.

She was gracious, humble and absolutely showed me how much I'm lacking in my level of research just by asking me questions about what I did and what she does.

I've since stepped up my game.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...