Monday, September 11, 2006

My favourite movie.

Movies are top of mind right now, because Maureen is at the Toronto film festival and I am teeth gnashingly jealous.

I love movies, find something interesting in almost everything I see, even the bad ones. (except the Big Lebowski, but why would take up too much room here.)

My favourite movie is Aliens, has been since I first saw it well over fourteen years ago. Some movies make an initial impact and fade with time and experience. Some grow on me on the second viewing. Aliens I loved from the first frame.

I know, it’s not the usual fav. But to me it’s got everything I love about storytelling. A kick ass, conflicted, multi-dimensional heroine, tension in spades and great villains. More the actual Aliens, than the Paul Reiser character.

I think that movie has influenced more of my storytelling than any other movie I’ve ever seen. I love the rich character dramas, the gorgeous historical epics, but a tightly plotted, suspenseful, edge of your seat movie will always be my favorite.

And Sigourney Weaver is amazing.. What more can I say?

It’s always interesting to find out what other people’s fav movies are and how their writing reflects it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the sexiest movie I have ever watched is Chronicles of Riddick. The whole man as beast theme. Love it. Forget sensitive men, give me a good fantasy alpha.

I enjoyed Sixth Sense for the detail. I watched it in the theater after being completely spun from a project. Even with that, it sucked my brain in.

Not one for the artsy fartsy movies. And I have little patience for movies that don't capture me within the first half hour. Have been known to walk out of more than a few.

Wylie Kinson said...

In the romantic/epic drama, I'd have to give my vote to Legends of the Fall. I actually gasped aloud (yes, just like in books!) when Tristan appeared on screen for the first time.

Anne Crawford-Clarke said...

My favourite movies are a bit all over the map. Bram Stoker's Dracula is at the top, and I'm certainly not a horror fan. I love the love story. True love enduring through the ages and the redemption that love provides. Under the Tuscan Sun is a movie that just makes me have hope. I keep watching for my lady bugs, but I just seem to attract mosquitos. And I love A Muppets Christmas Carol, just cuz it makes me feel warm and fuzzy and it makes me laugh. There's others, but the list is long.

Molly O'Keefe said...

Brad Pitt as like a dope smoking pirate ruined Legends of the Fall for me -- but Adian Quinn salvaged it. Adored him. Great topic Sinead. And how funny that you've found people to support your Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick love.

I thought she was alone in that Kimber!!!

Anonymous said...

Actually I walked out of Pitch Black. Didn't interest me at all.
Riddick...well...Riddick had me at the first sweaty bicep curl.

Didn't like Legends. I understand the spare guy in Pearl Harbor (in times of war, always prudent to have a spare guy) but TWO spare guys? That seemed a little greedy to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...