Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Possible New Obsession

I watched an episode of Catfish over the weekend. It's the series that came out of the movie about the guy who fell in love with a girl online went to meet her and found out she wasn't even remotely the person she said she was but they became friends anyway.

The episode I watched was about a young woman who fell in love over FaceBook and texting with a young man who was a model who worked making cue cards for the Chelsea Lately show while studying to be an anesthesiologist online. Not suspicious at all, right?

SPOILER ALERT: The dude was not who he said he was, but what he was still surprised me, then horrified me, then touched me.

I know it's only been one episode and I might get sick of the whole deep psychological reasons that people might pretend to be something that they're not, but for the moment I can definitely see this as my new laundry folding companion. What better thing to match socks to then bizarre stories about online dating?

Anyone else watching this one? Seen the movie?

6 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

I didn't know they'd made that into a series... I wonder if we can get it up here and where...

I didn't see the movie, but heard a lot about it.

Stephanie Doyle said...

I didn't know it was a series either. I did see the movie and thought it was fascinating.

It reminds me a lot of online dating. People think they are "seeing" someone when all they are really doing is emailing them. And through email you can be anyone you want to be.

In email.... I'm young and thin. :)

Anonymous said...

Heard about the movie, but never watched it, but sounds fascinating..

Eileen said...

In email you can also be any gender you want to be and any age. It might be my new comfort watch. I've finally gotten tired of Law & ORder.

Maureen McGowan said...

It appears Catfish (the TV series) is on MTV up here too. Great. Another show to check out. Thanks Eileen. ;)

Maureen McGowan said...

And OMG. I did see the movie... (I see too many movies. Plus, I am losing my memory...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...