Friday, November 30, 2012

Breakouts in 2012

My post today is more of a question. Were there any breakout authors who published their first books in 2012?

It's a question that was asked on another website and they couldn't think of any, and neither could I, except maybe one, which was Gillian Flynn's book Gone Girl, but it's not her first book, but I think it's definitely a breakout book, but it's an adult thriller.

Anything in romance? Molly did awesome with her book release, and Cecilia Grant got some great buzz with her release, A Lady Awakened, but nothing else comes to mind.

As for YA, I can't think of a release in the past year that has gripped the market in the same way that Hunger Games, or Divergent, or Beautiful Creatures has.

The only breakout books that come to mind are erotica, who at this point hasn't heard of the 50 shades books, or the other books that followed, all packaged similarly, all erotica.

But that's it. Is 2012 the year of the erotic book breakout? I must be missing something. What breakout authors did I miss?

2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

Yes, I think 2012 will be known as the year of erotica...

Eileen said...

You're probably right, Maureen.

On a side note, I'm reading Gone Girl right now. There's a reason it's gotten such great reviews. You probably realize that I'm really fascinated by interesting plot structures right now and this one is awesome. Better even than Defending Jacob that I thought was terrific and Sister which I adored. Totally earned that break out status for Flynn as far as I"m concerned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...