Friday, April 02, 2010

Instincts and Imagination

It's good friday, the kiddies are home, my house is a madhouse, so this will not be a long post.
I noticed the other day, both my daughters were trying to lift something heavy. Without ever being told, they both, bent their legs and lifted without ever straining their backs, as if the right way to use their body has been imprinted in their DNA.
The Wii fit has a test when you sign on, a balance test that no matter how much I suck in my stomach, or relax my shoulders, or tense my legs, I cannot seem to manage to gain a perfect score in this. But my daughter steps on, and every single time, perfect balance.
We're born knowing all this stuff and the older we get, the less we instinctively know.
Unless we make a real effort to nurture it. The same goes with our imaginations. Children compose the most far fetched, beautiful imaginary games, and as we get older, those imaginary games become harder and harder as we practice them less and less.

I'm keeping this in mind as I think long and hard about what I want to write next, because my instincts are leading me somewhere interesting and very, very different and I want to believe that they will not lead me astray.

3 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

Awesome post, Sinead. And so true. Trust your instincts. Find and trust your inner child. ;)

Molly O'Keefe said...

Sometimes thinking just ruins things - kids don't think, or debate. They just do. Hence the tortellini on my ceiling fan.

Eileen said...

The instinct thing is huge. It's so easy to over think things and ruin them. There's this great line from a Billy Bragg song:

The temptation
To take the precious things we have apart
To see how they work
Must be resisted for they never fit together again

That said, there's something for adding discipline to the instinct. I think that's when things get truly exciting. It's all about the balance, though . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...